5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

48RE noob - What to do!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 48RE noob - What to do!

Well all of my best laid plans all went to hell. I was hoping that I would be able to swing enough cash with my bonus and tax return that I could buy a built trans for my '05. That is not going to happen!

Now I need to know what to do. I use the truck as a daily driver (in-town traffic, unloaded) but when I tow it's between 8k - 10k. I also have the mods listed in my sig and would like to get a Smarty next year. I wanted a trans that I never had to worry about again but I'm only able to pull together $1500 - $2000. The trans shifts fine for now but I do have a bit of 2nd gear slip on light throttle. I am out of adjustment on my bands.

So would I be better off saving the cash until the trans gives out or should I do as much as I can now? Would I be able to have a fortified enough trans for how I use my truck with my budget? If so, what parts do I need?

I have never torn into an auto trans before, so I really have no idea what I'm doing. However, I am mechanically inclined (rebuild axles including ring and pinion setups, rebuilt transfer cases, rebuilt engines, etc). I just really need some suggestions. I'm beyond bummed about how little cash I have availible for this.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts
The following users liked this post:
CreeperSleeper (03-26-2010)
Old 03-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Diesel Wrench

So I would need something like Suncoast's Extream Rebuild Kit, a TC and a VB or shift kit, correct? Anything else? Or can I get away with less?

Last edited by CreeperSleeper; 03-26-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

your idea about saving money is good too unless it happens at a bad time like when your loaded and in bfe and have to have it towed and you ought to price some of that out with our sponsers you might get a swinging deal

Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i wish you were closer. brian could build you a good tranny.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I just found Dave at Ultimate Trans in (or around) Boise, ID. If you want, let me know you want his number and I will pass it along so you can give him a call. He will be the one doing my trans work from now on! I had already bought my shift kit from someone else and he has been walking me through it!! What a guy! And to boot: he has been building some awesome all out racing trans!! You can tell talking to him that he knows what he is doing!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by ArizonaRedneck
your idea about saving money is good too unless it happens at a bad time like when your loaded and in bfe and have to have it towed and you ought to price some of that out with our sponsers you might get a swinging deal
Yeah, and I'm sure that's exactly what would happen! And don't worry, I'm planning on supporting our sponsers as much as possible.

Originally Posted by diesel pap
i wish you were closer. brian could build you a good tranny.
Me too!

Originally Posted by millco
I just found Dave at Ultimate Trans in (or around) Boise, ID. If you want, let me know you want his number and I will pass it along so you can give him a call. He will be the one doing my trans work from now on! I had already bought my shift kit from someone else and he has been walking me through it!! What a guy! And to boot: he has been building some awesome all out racing trans!! You can tell talking to him that he knows what he is doing!
I would appreciate his number. At least just to pick his brain! Boise is not a bad drive for me, so that is another option.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I would highly recommend them! It seems like their pricing is pretty good to me. In fact, I just got off the phone with Matt as I needed a little help with this shift kit install. It is sure nice to be able to get a hold of someone when you have a question. Every other business I called today is closed Saturdays. . . . (I think they are closed, but they answer anyway! Crazy!!)
Dave's is: 208-631-2133
Matt's is: 208-830-6449

I know Dave is gone for the weekend but he will be back Tue I think. I hear he is usually in the shop late at night so it's good to hear he gets away a little hear and there.
Give them a call and let me know what you think. I learn a lot each time I talk to them! Good peeps for sure!

The following users liked this post:
CreeperSleeper (03-29-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Diesel Wrench

Thanks so much everybody. I wouldn't be so stressed about it as everything feels correct (soft shifts but correct) except for 2nd gear, light throttle like in traffic leaving a stoplight. Then every once in a while it doesn't feel like it stays locked in 2nd. This is daily driving with no load, Superchips on "tow".