5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Walbro pump installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Walbro pump installation questions

I've spent many hours searching and reading about doing this installation, and while it at first seems pretty straight forward, I've developed a number of questions I would appreciate help with.

It seems like I can just put the pump in-line with the supply line and draw from and through the stock pump. Is this correct? I know a draw tube seems the preferred way, but would rather stay as simple as possible at this time.

Is the larger fuel line the one going to the CP3?

I've gleaned I need a by-pass pressure regulator, where do I send the by-pass to? Can it be spliced into the present return line, do I need a new line with a dedicated entry to the fuel tank?

What's the big deal about putting on bigger fuel lines if your just going to turn the pressure down anyway?

I know I need to run pump off a relay and need a fuel strainer before the pump

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM
NADM Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems like I can just put the pump in-line with the supply line and draw from and through the stock pump. Is this correct? I know a draw tube seems the preferred way, but would rather stay as simple as possible at this time.
yes, you can do that but, drawing through the stock pump can cause not only a restriction but, cavatation too. You'd also have to go find the fittings to tap into the stock metal line.

IMO, just dropping the tank and putting the draw straw in is as easy as what you want to do. You'll be done with it and down the road if you want to upgrade.... that part is done. There's only 2 nuts holding the tank up and when it's mostly empty, it can be done with just yourself

Here's a picture of my old Walbro installed.....

Is the larger fuel line the one going to the CP3?
The fuel line you want is metal and it goes from the tank to the fuel filter. From there it goes to the CP3

I've gleaned I need a by-pass pressure regulator, where do I send the by-pass to? Can it be spliced into the present return line, do I need a new line with a dedicated entry to the fuel tank?
see above picture. The return goes to the fuel filler tube

What's the big deal about putting on bigger fuel lines if your just going to turn the pressure down anyway?
The deal is for those who need a lot more fuel than the stock lines are capable of moving

I know I need to run pump off a relay and need a fuel strainer before the pump
you don't need a filter before the pump although it won't hurt much. Just make sure it's a high flow filter. If you purchased a walbro 392 kit, it should have had the relay with it.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by triton
yes, you can do that but, drawing through the stock pump can cause not only a restriction but, cavatation too. You'd also have to go find the fittings to tap into the stock metal line.

Discovered (figured out) that I don't have in tank pump. Have the one on the side of the filter canister

IMO, just dropping the tank and putting the draw straw in is as easy as what you want to do. You'll be done with it and down the road if you want to upgrade.... that part is done. There's only 2 nuts holding the tank up and when it's mostly empty, it can be done with just yourself

Here's a picture of my old Walbro installed.....

We're you using a regulator such as described in the "roll yer own" thread?

The fuel line you want is metal and it goes from the tank to the fuel filter. From there it goes to the CP3

Both my lines are metal.

see above picture. The return goes to the fuel filler tube

I'll have to check this out better. Splicing into return line is a no no?

The deal is for those who need a lot more fuel than the stock lines are capable of moving

you don't need a filter before the pump although it won't hurt much. Just make sure it's a high flow filter. If you purchased a walbro 392 kit, it should have had the relay with it.
Wasn't able to get a kit and directions. Makes it more challenging.