5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Dodge Dealer giving me the runaround?? Odd revving..

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Dealer giving me the runaround?? Odd revving..

Hey Guys,

Any input would help me out.

The symptoms of my problem are:

1. Stepdown from rev in increments instead of just coming down smoothly.
2. Rough idle sometimes (truck shakes a lot more than normal)
3. MPG all highway at 65mph unloaded, no hard accel = 17mpg (good or bad?)
4. Light smoke at lower rpms.

I changed the fuel filter (7 mc Fleetguard), added power service w/injector cleaner, and am running 5w40 Rot Synth. and it didn't change any of the above.

When I talked to some of you guys on here, some people seemed to think that it was the injectors leaking.

So for the update:

I took it to dodge and they've had it for about 24 hours now and told me that the fuel system is contaminated. They say that they found sediment at the bottom of the fuel filter canister that is apparently is causing the rev issue? The only way to get rid of this is to replace the entire fuel system... (basically, a live with it) They said Cummins won't warranty any work regarding the contamination.

So I haven't picked the truck up yet and instead went to a local diesel shop. As soon as I mentioned the rev issue, he immediately said it sounded like the injectors. When I mentioned it was at the local Dodge dealership and what they said about it, he asked what dealership and then let me know that they send their diesel work to him and he knew the service guy I talked to. He then gave me a story about possibly Biodiesel causing the contamination and injector problems. He showed me a pump that they pulled apart to acid clean that had a brown film inside and said that the Biodiesel was causing these problems. I think it seems odd that Biodiesel could be approved for use if it was trashing injectors like this, so I feel like I'm getting the runaround from this guy because he knows the Dodge service guy and doesn't want to discredit him. I called another diesel shop a city over and they said it sounds like injectors or something electronic and recommended a different Dodge dealership.

Curtis

Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

contamination is the story there using everywhere, Call mightydiesel.com and order a air-dog that's what I did when mine quit, sounds like what yours is doing.

Here's the wright up I did on Air Dog install, way better than stock and cheaper

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-li...-part-1-a.html

Last edited by handymanherb; 11-10-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

thanks herb. if you need a airdog i can help

Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I send that, Tony at Mighty Diesel hooked me up with new nozzles and an airdog. Great service and cost.

I would go ahead and replace the lift pump, see what that does. Otherwise you will have to have the injectors tested and see if that is the problem. Replacing the "whole fuel system" is quite extreme.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 PM

My thing is, if the injectors are shot, I want them fixed while it's under warranty. I don't really care what caused it unless it's something that I personally have done wrong, which its not. I'm trying to figure out how I can fight this and get them fixed or replaced. I don't want to have to drop 2500-3000 on new injectors when I think they should have lasted longer than 82k miles.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

Just don't let them talk into the 200 dollars fuel line cleaning, they tried that with me and I told them I belong to a good forum and know BS when I hear it.

My in tank lift pump quit at 81000, I took it in and told them what the problem was and they still tried to talk me into tests I didn't need and then they turned down my warranty so I was going to have to pay, and I pulled it out and did it my self, with a better pump.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
roy

sounds to me like injectors. dont get it fixed, wash out cyl.s, loose compression in cyl,s. be bying overhaul. if truck is set up to run bio-deisel from factory why not warranty

Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would go pick it up, clean the filter housing, install a new fuel filter and take it to a different dealer. The sediment inside of the housing cant get through the filter to the injectors unless the filter has a hole in it or the sediment is smaller then the 7 microns rating of a Fleetguard fuel filter.

JMHO

Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

You've definitely got one of the "bad" ones there:
Originally Posted by Curt2199
They say that they found sediment at the bottom of the fuel filter canister that is apparently...
I thought that's what the filter was supposed to do - keep junk out of the engine? You'd be hard pressed to find a vehicle of any kind anywhere that did not have some sediment in tank or junk trapped in the filter after being on the road for awhile. Sheeesh.

This is a comon practice at Chrysler/Dodge dealerships around the country whenever a Cummins shows up with fuel issues: Claim negligent contamination, customer's responsiiblity, deny warranty. It's bordering on criminal, IMHO.

Was the WIF light on? Was the filter actually "clogged" from gross contamination? No and no - of course not. The fact is they sold the product with inadequate filtration. They know this, and they also know it can lead to even more expensive repairs when injectors get hoofed to the point where they burn a piston before it gets fixed. So they try to weasle out of it.

Do like 06 Dodge said, replace the filter and take it somewhere else. Somewhere there's got to be a dealer with honest people working there. Chrysler and alot of dealers were hurting pretty bad, but there's gotta be one or two left somewhere that will honor the warranty.

And OBTW, If you do get it repaired under warranty, next thing to do right away after that is install a better primary filter before the CP3 - Cat 2um.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

where are you located at curt2199?