5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Air dog install 05's and newer Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Air dog install 05's and newer Part 1

First thing is to put the mount together

see where it will fit on you frame that the mount clears every thing, you can mount it inside or outside the frame, I picked outside under the rear seat area to make it easy to service.

The mounts 2 pieces bolt together to clamp the mount in place, get it high as possible but not touching the cab and allow half inch or more for cab bounce and tighten the clamp, set the pump in the mount .

Next job is the tank, the fastest way is remove the bed and you can get to the whole job without climbing under the truck 50 times.

But as the steelership had mine out, I put it on saw horses to work on.

Hardest part is removing the ring holding the pump in, I did it with a vice grip and a BFH, hit it hard 2 times and moved the vice grip to the other side and 2 more hits and it was off, same thing going back on.

Next thing while you got it open lets get all the fuel out of there, I used a manual pump on mine as I had 10 gallons in the tank and put a coffee filter on the pump to let the dirt stay in the tank.

Next we pick a flat spot near the pump opening, and drill a inch and 1/8 hole for the air dog, using a can held under the drill to catch pieces of plastic falling.

put the grommet in the hole and next using hot water to soften the sip tube slide in on the barbed fitting, thread in the 90 degree fitting using Teflon paste or tape same for the barbed fitting for the 1/2 fuel line. Now you have to measure and keep cutting the sip tube till it's a 1/4 inch from the bottom.

Then I serrated the bottom of the tube 1/8 inch deep to prevent blockage.

Then installed the pick up tube.

Then using the fuel left get rags and clean the tank out, wringing out the fuel and dirt out of the rags till you can eat off it, might as well start out all clean.

Now I cut the pump from the housing and removed the wiring for the pump, but you need the ones going to the fuel sender and reinstalled the pump housing.

Next Cut the return line into the filler hose and clamp in place so now the tank is ready to go in.

Now before you put the tank in crawl under the truck, see this is where removing the bed comes in handy, and cut the orange wire with red stripe from the connector as you need this to kick the pump on from the ECM and put the one side of connector that came with the kit on the wire.

Now since I had the tank empty it was easy to sit on the tank on the floor jack and pump it in place and install the straps and tighten all by my lonely self, while I was doing that I made sure all the lines came out the right and had to remove the return as it was on the wrong side of a frame member with both ends of the fuel lines hooked to the tank and put the lines out the side of the truck without making a cut yet.

Last edited by handymanherb; 10-04-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

Part 2

Now remove the pump and install barbed fitting now and bolt the pump to the mount, and fill up water separator up with fuel and screw on, now you pull both hoses to the pump

front line is the pick up tube run it to the fuel in barb and cut to fit, I used hot water and oil on the barbs to make the hoses slip on easier. Then I ran the return line to the barb and cut it and slipped it on the tank part is now done. Now we can run the fuel line to the CP3 injector pump, remove the banjo fitting and install barbed fitting cut and slip on the fuel out line, guess what all the plumbing is done.

Now for easy part plug the connector to the pump and plug in the Air Dog relay lead to the ECM lead you cut and put the male connector on, I then ran everything forward and to the right side of the truck to remove slack out of the line, then zip tie

run the power leads to the battery or to the back if the alternator if you want, mount the relay to the firewall and your done, turn the switch and listen for the pump, you might have to hit bump the starter, when it stops, Start the truck and it's miller time. Real easy, if you don't have to read the book where there jumping from place to place. so now you have a over view of how to do the job and you won't have to read the book except to verify parts.

Last edited by handymanherb; 10-04-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

very nice thread great pics keep up the good work

The following users liked this post:
handymanherb (10-04-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A++ not so scary when you see it all laid out!!! good work!

handymanherb (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Great write up bud!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

Thanks guys , done my best to make it easy for the rest of you, you will have to look up the changes for 6.7's though

Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

good job herb