5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Im having trouble with something in my truck. When I drive the truck it shifts fine, but when I park it for a while, up to several hours, and go to shift it into first or second gear it wont go. I literally have to force it into first gear and it wont even budge into second. My truck has 124k miles and I really dont think the transmission is going bad, it just doesnt seem logical but maybe im wrong. I have a feeling its the clutch. For some reason the clutch pedal is really stiff too but it was like that when I bought it so im not sure what to think. If it is the clutch my next call is going to probably be Peter over at Southbend. Im going to have it checked Wednesday but any help or insight before then would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Sounds like your Hydraulics are going out. You checked the Fluid?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I cant figure out how to check the tranny fluid. is there clutch fluid as well? I will check under the hood tomorrow and look through the owners manual too and see what i can find. Truck is plauged i swear its just one thing after another.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I checked the hydraulic fluid and its full up with no problems. No leaks or anything. What should I do next?

Last edited by tdiezel; 09-01-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny you should bring this up... I just installed Stage 3 of my Hypertech Max Energy, although I swore I wouldn't until I had my exhaust and gauges. Twice in two days, right after getting on it really hard in 6th gear, and feeling as though my clutch might be working harder than I wanted a stock clutch to, my clutch peddle was SUPER STIFF and really return springy, like I was pressing my brake instead of my clutch! What gives? Subsequently, I dropped my Max Energy back down to Stage 1.

This is the odd part: instead of my engine excelerating and my truck NOT increasing in speed, it seemed like just the opposite. The engine went quickly from 1700-2300 RPM, then leveled out, and my speedo increased while my RPM's stayed at 2300 and the tranny let out a slight, low-frequency growl. Once the speed of the truck matched the RPM's, they both went up together, (rapidly) and the noise stopped. All of this at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) starting at around 55 MPH when I punched it to the floor. My slave cylinder is full, I checked.

TDIEZEL, look just slightly to the right and nearer the firewall and you will see a yellow cap. It reads "FILL TO STEP WITH DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID" on it. This is your clutch slave cylinder reservoir. Make sure it's full to the mark. Mine was, but maybe yours' is something different! Unless someone can prove to me that it was something different than my clutch acting up, like maybe a mystery de-fueling, I'm not running it like a stripped-*** monkey until I get a good South Bend Double-Disk or something. Can't afford to ruin my ride, not with winter coming up and -70 temps on the way!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok I just went out and looked it seems like its running low it didn't come up very far on my finger when i stuck it in. It says fill to step but I don't know where the "step" is to fill it to. I will put some in it but the clutch has been super stiff and super springy since I bought it. Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tdiezel
Ok I just went out and looked it seems like its running low it didn't come up very far on my finger when i stuck it in. It says fill to step but I don't know where the "step" is to fill it to. I will put some in it but the clutch has been super stiff and super springy since I bought it. Thanks for all the help!
The "STEP" is that area where it goes from skinny to thick, about 2/3 of the way up. If you overfill it, that rubber boot attached to the cap will purge your excess fluid out (messy). I'm sure that these slave cylinders are self-bleeding. Anyone know for sure?

Why can't you guys ever break something that I know even the smallest amount about? Anyone need their swashplate angle-to-rotorhead checked? Perhaps a longitudinal cyclic trim actuator not fully retracting? This DIESEL stuff is killin' me!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok I will fill it up and see if it does anything for me.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Its possible that the Hyd are just wore out.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I think that may be the cause. How much does a new hydraulic kit cost?