5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Dilemma; Turbo or power adders

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like U need a turbo. Sounds like U want drive ability. That is in line with what I am doing with my truck. I am going the super B route, then when I save up some more $$ I will turn it into the BD towing twins so I can have the best of both worlds. Just my .02
James

The following users liked this post:
wildcat (03-16-2009)
Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Phat Shaft 62/14 or Super Phat Shaft 62/14

wildcat (03-16-2009)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what about making your own compound setup find a turbo off a older cummins rig motor they can be found cheap and depending on your fab skills pluming is fairly easy . this is what im gona do to my 04. and as far as power on a stock turbo my 07 5.9 made over 450 hp just about a month ago with a stock turbo and it is drivin daily and not treated to easy and it has not let me down yet

wildcat (03-16-2009)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

i would go with a 64 turbo, i think you'll outgrow a 62 too fast even though you dont think so, if you dont do a turbo run water meth you'll get a coolin effect and give ya little more power to put you above the 500 mark

Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 259 Likes on 201 Posts

My 05 did 489 with nothing but a Smarty, cold air intake, and the stacks with no muffler. If you are worried about messing up, just put a little bigger turbo then injectors on it. That's the route I'm going and see no reason why you can't hit the 500+ mark. On top of that, you will still have the reliability.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by James Stevens
Sounds like U need a turbo. Sounds like U want drive ability. That is in line with what I am doing with my truck. I am going the super B route, then when I save up some more $$ I will turn it into the BD towing twins so I can have the best of both worlds. Just my .02
James
James, that sounds like a good Idea for you. For me tho', I don't want to get rid of my Icebox, and I would have to in order to do twins.

Originally Posted by lukesdiesel
Phat Shaft 62/14 or Super Phat Shaft 62/14

Luke, I looked at those when I was "Window shopping" for which turbo to get, I decided on the silver 62 because it's supposed to be better at lower RPM and less surging...at least from what I read... I dunno.

Originally Posted by 07redsled
what about making your own compound setup find a turbo off a older cummins rig motor they can be found cheap and depending on your fab skills pluming is fairly easy . this is what im gona do to my 04. and as far as power on a stock turbo my 07 5.9 made over 450 hp just about a month ago with a stock turbo and it is drivin daily and not treated to easy and it has not let me down yet
Which charger to do it with, tho'? I'd want someone with way more knowledge about chargers than I have to pick the one that would work the best...

Originally Posted by stkdram55
i would go with a 64 turbo, i think you'll outgrow a 62 too fast even though you dont think so, if you dont do a turbo run water meth you'll get a coolin effect and give ya little more power to put you above the 500 mark

I don't really think I'll outgrow the 62. I just don't want to lose any drivability (And towability) down low. Besides, I'd probably have to get bigger sticks to get the 64 to light, and by the time I finished tweaking it, I'd have Head Studs to make me feel safe, and be over 600HP or something.... The chain reaction caused by that would really hurt the wallet...

Water Meth is still sounding good to me...

Originally Posted by MRaynor
My 05 did 489 with nothing but a Smarty, cold air intake, and the stacks with no muffler. If you are worried about messing up, just put a little bigger turbo then injectors on it. That's the route I'm going and see no reason why you can't hit the 500+ mark. On top of that, you will still have the reliability.
What were your EGT's for that? Also, what settings on the Smarty were you running?

Thanks you guys for all your input!

I like that Smarty has given me MORE than the fuel I need to light a little bit bigger turbo... That's also why I was thinking the Silver 62. I think I can light it with the Smarty fueling.
I don't really want to get to the point where I'm going to need Head Studs to hold it all together, even though I may do them anyway down the road.
I guess where I'm at with it is I want to make sure the 500HP I have is as INEXPENSIVE, RELIABLE and have as LOW EGT as it can. It would be NICE if the power was there all the time, but let's face it, I don't REALLY need 500 hp ALL the time, do I? That's why I was thinking Water Meth, and Nitrous. The Nitrous more so because I can BUILD the kit and I'm familiar with it...albiet the gas is EXPENSIVE these days.

If I go with too big of turbo, I'm going to at some point, need more fuel to light it, then studs, etc. and now things are getting expensive, and I'm overshooting my goals. There's nothing wrong with that, if you are made of money, but none of us really are...are we?

I'm now leaning HARD to the turbo. More air will keep things cool all the time, without worrying about a consumable running out.. (Nitrous, Water Meth)

I'm still interested in more comments on this. Some think the Silver 62 would be a mistake, anyone have any thoughts on this? What did some of you do when you were crossing this bridge?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

sounds like a plan

Old 03-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

stock and one from a 400 big cam or ntc 290 15 liter up to 19 liter engine

Last edited by 07redsled; 03-16-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 07redsled
stock and one from a 400 big cam or ntc 290 15 liter up to 19 liter engine
Ok... do those come in any specific Cummins Diesel powered truck or machinery?
I'd like to do a search and find out about them.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WIth my 06 I put down 508hp with just the smarty catcher, true flow, and stacks. In the 1/4 i run 14.6. I'm still running stock turbo and i have no problems with my everyday driver. I even run level 9 on the streets. My trans seems to shift better on level 9 than anything else.

Quick Reply: Dilemma; Turbo or power adders