5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

04 cummins won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 cummins won’t start

Hey guys I have 04 24v common rail. I was driving the truck the other night and it started to cutting out then I pulled in the driveway and hit a bump and the truck died and wouldn’t start afterwards. Realized I didn’t hear the lift pump so I replaced it but I still don’t hear the lift pump coming on. I checked and I’m getting 12v to the pump when the key is in the run position. I also replaced both batteries.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 08:56 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts
Default it happens

Good find, a lot of threads have been written about bad grounds and battery cable conections on the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
Good find, a lot of threads have been written about bad grounds and battery cable conections on the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.
Yep, been there a couple of times. Clean all battery connections, battery grounds especially, and all other grounds (there are several). Clean connections to your starter. Dont rule out the fuel system, particularly the Fuel Pressure Actuator /Regulator, Fuel Pressure Sensor etc.... Ive had to replace them twice in ten years, but the symtoms are the same. By the way, does it crank with no-start, or no crank at all?

Old 08-22-2022, 08:45 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
Yep, been there a couple of times. Clean all battery connections, battery grounds especially, and all other grounds (there are several). Clean connections to your starter. Dont rule out the fuel system, particularly the Fuel Pressure Actuator /Regulator, Fuel Pressure Sensor etc.... Ive had to replace them twice in ten years, but the symtoms are the same. By the way, does it crank with no-start, or no crank at all?
You also may have a shorted wire to the fuel pump, blown fuse due to short, or even a bad relay.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:50 AM

crank no start.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:50 AM

You also may have a shorted wire to the fuel pump, blown fuse due to short, or even a bad relay.
I’m getting power to the pump tho

Old 08-22-2022, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
Would I be better off just making new battery cables?

Old 08-25-2022, 09:17 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Brycewd
Would I be better off just making new battery cables?
Check / clean the ground to the fuel pump. Check/ clean the electrical connector to the Fuel Pressure Control Actuator/ Regulator. I dont think new battery cables is going to solve your "crank/ no start" issue. Any codes?
I had a similar issue and turned out to be a failed FPS (fuel pressure sensor) also I didnt have a code. Prior to its total failure, the engine ran slugish and "jerky" almost like a misfire for several seconds then it would run fine. Then one morning, crank/ no start. Researched on line and symptoms pointed to FPS. Changed it and it fired right up. Went ahead and also replaced the Fuel Pressure Control Actuator/Regulator. BTW the FPCA is located right at the back of the CP3 Pump.
Disconnect the connector to the CP3 and crank it over. If it starts and has louder valve noise, then your FPCA is faulty. I would also recommend changing the FPS as well.