Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   04 cummins won’t start (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/139308-04-cummins-won-t-start.html)

Brycewd 08-21-2022 05:43 PM

04 cummins won’t start

Hey guys I have 04 24v common rail. I was driving the truck the other night and it started to cutting out then I pulled in the driveway and hit a bump and the truck died and wouldn’t start afterwards. Realized I didn’t hear the lift pump so I replaced it but I still don’t hear the lift pump coming on. I checked and I’m getting 12v to the pump when the key is in the run position. I also replaced both batteries.

Jet A Fuel 08-21-2022 08:56 PM

it happens

Good find, a lot of threads have been written about bad grounds and battery cable conections on the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.

Bigg Redd 08-22-2022 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel (Post 1211240)
Good find, a lot of threads have been written about bad grounds and battery cable conections on the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.

Yep, been there a couple of times. Clean all battery connections, battery grounds especially, and all other grounds (there are several). Clean connections to your starter. Dont rule out the fuel system, particularly the Fuel Pressure Actuator /Regulator, Fuel Pressure Sensor etc.... Ive had to replace them twice in ten years, but the symtoms are the same. By the way, does it crank with no-start, or no crank at all?

Bigg Redd 08-22-2022 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd (Post 1211245)
Yep, been there a couple of times. Clean all battery connections, battery grounds especially, and all other grounds (there are several). Clean connections to your starter. Dont rule out the fuel system, particularly the Fuel Pressure Actuator /Regulator, Fuel Pressure Sensor etc.... Ive had to replace them twice in ten years, but the symtoms are the same. By the way, does it crank with no-start, or no crank at all?

You also may have a shorted wire to the fuel pump, blown fuse due to short, or even a bad relay.

Brycewd 08-22-2022 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd (Post 1211245)

crank no start.

Brycewd 08-22-2022 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd (Post 1211246)
You also may have a shorted wire to the fuel pump, blown fuse due to short, or even a bad relay.

I’m getting power to the pump tho

Brycewd 08-22-2022 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel (Post 1211240)

Would I be better off just making new battery cables?

Bigg Redd 08-25-2022 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brycewd (Post 1211249)
Would I be better off just making new battery cables?

Check / clean the ground to the fuel pump. Check/ clean the electrical connector to the Fuel Pressure Control Actuator/ Regulator. I dont think new battery cables is going to solve your "crank/ no start" issue. Any codes?
I had a similar issue and turned out to be a failed FPS (fuel pressure sensor) also I didnt have a code. Prior to its total failure, the engine ran slugish and "jerky" almost like a misfire for several seconds then it would run fine. Then one morning, crank/ no start. Researched on line and symptoms pointed to FPS. Changed it and it fired right up. Went ahead and also replaced the Fuel Pressure Control Actuator/Regulator. BTW the FPCA is located right at the back of the CP3 Pump.
Disconnect the connector to the CP3 and crank it over. If it starts and has louder valve noise, then your FPCA is faulty. I would also recommend changing the FPS as well.