5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Brakes

My brakes are squeeking constantly when using them and it is starting to perterve me. I checked them before the trip to TS last month and they still had better than 60% left on them. This squeeking bothers me to the point of changing them to some ceramic pads so that I also lessen the amount of brake dust that is on the rims after a few miles. Anyway, I am looking for some recomendations on Ceramic pads, and maybe even new rotors. Let me know what you have and how you like it. If they squeek at all I will not put them on, it is one of those things that I can not stand, kinda like finger nails on a chalk board to me.

Thanks
06 DIESEL

Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

If your thinking about doing a brake system upgrade, get slotted/drilled rotors and six piston calipers.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Sma't Alec!
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to learn how to drive so your not riding your brakes?
(j/k bud)

It sounds like your rotors may just be glazed up. What I tell people when I see rotors glazing is to do what's called a panic stop several times and that should de-glaze them, or you can take the wheels off and scruff up the rotors.

If you do decide to upgrade the brakes, i agree with the slotted rotors.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts

I know that I am going to upgrade some, just not sure how much yet. I have tried everything to get them to stop except that spray stuff you put on the back of the pads. This is just one of those pet peeves that I have and if it starts doing it, no matter how good the pads are I always replace and upgrade. My 01 went through 5 sets of front pads in 60K miles, one set only lasted a few humdred miles because they started squeeking. I guess you could say I an kinda **** about this kind of stuff, so I am looking for opinions on what you have upgraded to and your opinion of it so that I can make an educated purchase this time and hopefully not keep having to replace them to make me happy.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i'm the same way if they start squeeking i change then i hate hearing the squeek

Old 05-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know EXACTLY what you’re talking about mine started squealing not too long ago, after I had my steering knuckles replaced. My Mechanic say's that I may have a soft brake line!?#!@? WTF
Anyone ever hear of that??
On a vehicle a lot older or used extensively for HEAVY hauling maybe, but on an 04 that see’s mainly light work and highway driving??
I may just have to get some top of the line ceramic pads for the fronts and see if that fix's the issue.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

OK now this is WEIRD... Anyone else seeing all the FONT information in my post??

Looks like a hicup in the system

Last edited by Uncle Bubba; 05-25-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram04SLT
I know EXACTLY what you’re talking about mine started squealing not too long ago, after I had my steering knuckles replaced. My Mechanic say's that I may have a soft brake line!?#!@? WTF
Anyone ever hear of that??
On a vehicle a lot older or used extensively for HEAVY hauling maybe, but on an 04 that see’s mainly light work and highway driving??
I may just have to get some top of the line ceramic pads for the fronts and see if that fix's the issue.

OK now this is WEIRD... Anyone else seeing all the FONT information in my post??

Looks like a hicup in the system
Nope, don't see anything out of the ordinary in you post and don't know what your talkin about.

If your lookin to upgrade your braking system I can't recommend high enough goin shoppin at EGR Brakes. They build some serious stuff and it works under any conditions. I changed out to their Stainless Lines and it inreased my brakeing power and feel of the brake pedal more then I can describe. I went from having to put the pedal to the floor to not more then 3 inches of travel in the pedal even when stopping hard. I replaced everything from there including the rotors, pads and calipers and didn't have to touch anything for at least 50,000 miles worth of hard drivin. I do use and abuse my truck with trailers and most of the time with no trailer brakes so the truck does all the stoppin. Just replaced the pads here recently just because I was already in there, they still had some pad left. They also include a special type of brake fluid and caliper pin grease that I had never seen before. In the past every spring I had to pull calipers apart to lube the pins cause they would stick. With this stuff I hadn't done it in 3 years of drivin and they were still fine here in the rust belt. This was my fix anyway. EGR Performance Brakes, brakes for Dodge, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Tahoe, Yukon, Excursion, Dakota, Durango or whatever you drive.