5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The performance started getting noticably better after about the 3rd injector and then after the last 3 it was definitely a lot of power and so this weekend I will take apart the #1 & 4 high pressure pipes and the feed tubes and I inspect them. So you think my exhaust is and components are just plugged with excessive fuel? And the performance felt pretty instant like I let it idle to operating temp and then went and test drove and it felt pretty instant on the test drive for the performance

Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, excessive fuel that is left behind in the exhaust will just heat up and just vaporize into white smoke, as strange as that sounds. I personally went through that before, don't know it didn't come to me before, BUT you could never be certain though.
Then you know what dude, that white smoke might just be that At this point. You must of had an injector before, that was firing fuel really at a bad timing and the fuel never got ingnited, but pushed into the exhaust system. But I would still really keep an eye on it. The smoke should get less and less hopefully. At the exhaust tip, you must really smell raw fuel though hey?
But your long start, just re-inspect everything from 1 & 4, but can't find anything, I would probably either replace the high pressure pipes or feed tubes or even both. But you fixing the pipe may have done something but just a guest. But you doing thing in order like you did, does help elimating the problem.
So at this point hope that is really the case. Just keep an eye on that exhaust smoke. Hope it gets less and less.
Hey keep me posted man. I d appreciate it.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Default Gasket failure

Originally Posted by Jsk8ter5
It started all of the sudden I had white smoke one day so I took it to a diesel place and they told me it needed injectors so I put all six injectors in. The truck is a 2005 Dodge common rail. It has 236,000 on it. Only mods are edge attitude with juice and 5 inch exhaust. It also has a KN air filter. It has sat a while like a month or two while I was getting the money to buy the injectors. I finally got them and installed them and it still has white excessive smoke? My egts are way down from what they were and it has a lot more performance upon take off and stuff. I drained the fuel filter bowl when I did it and I didn't see any water and the filter didn't have any algae on it. I'm at a loss here it doesn't have any DTCs and it doesn't have a misfire just a little chuggle on a cold day? Need help!
That sounds like blown gaskets, not saying that's what it is but I wouldn't mark it off the list without getting that checked out

Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

If that is the case, bigr128, then his coolant would definitely been disappearing. But this is not the case.

Last edited by Benbri; 11-12-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jsk8ter5
The coolant is at the same level and hasn't moved
Coolant hasn't moved he says

Old 11-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Diesel Fan

Just to double check the head gasket I can let the truck run with the head gasket checker fluid on it.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Hope it's not the case but have you ever sniff the white fumes at the exhaust tip. It should give you a hint too.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Smells like a normal old diesel no sweet smells or anything obvious like that.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Then I doubt it's a gasket then. Just all the details you ve been giving here, just makes sense that there was a bad injector that is just shooting fuel at a bad timing, you change it, it ran much better, and now the exhaust is just sprayed with fuel. If your power hasn't changed, then I would say either the copper injector washer or a crack injector housing.
So hope the smokes clears up, if not, we missed something but I would doubt it.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Diesel Fan

Alright sweet thanks for the help I will repost laster today I will be pulling 1 and 4 apart for inspection