5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke

It started all of the sudden I had white smoke one day so I took it to a diesel place and they told me it needed injectors so I put all six injectors in. The truck is a 2005 Dodge common rail. It has 236,000 on it. Only mods are edge attitude with juice and 5 inch exhaust. It also has a KN air filter. It has sat a while like a month or two while I was getting the money to buy the injectors. I finally got them and installed them and it still has white excessive smoke? My egts are way down from what they were and it has a lot more performance upon take off and stuff. I drained the fuel filter bowl when I did it and I didn't see any water and the filter didn't have any algae on it. I'm at a loss here it doesn't have any DTCs and it doesn't have a misfire just a little chuggle on a cold day? Need help!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

what setting do you have your programmer on? How many miles on your new injectors? are they new or reman injectors?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Mileage and stock didn't try any other settings yet and they are fresh and newly installed maybe 5-10 miles? Didn't want to drive on it too much like that. They are remans from rock auto

Old 11-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does white smoke consistent, from idle to driving it down the road? Or just when you first start it? Have you checked your coolant level lately, is it low?

White smoke scenarios are from either, un burned fuel in combustion chamber(from either bad injection timing or bad valves) or from coolant getting in the combustion chamber.

To bad that shop you brought it to get the injectors change in, could of did a compression test at the same time and could of seen if this was the possible issue.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Diesel Fan

It smokes on start up and all the time it seems like it smokes more upon reaching operating temp. And I have a diesel compression gauge but I haven't tried checking anything just trying to see if I can find out an answer

Old 11-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Diesel Fan

The coolant is at the same level and hasn't moved

Old 11-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

I hate to **** on your parade, but reman aren't always the best way to go. But it also depends on who actually remanufactured the injectors. If your egts aren't an issue, Id go ahead and drive it and see if it clears up or gets worse.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like you are another victim of remans. be careful cuz you dont want an injector to fail and melt a piston causing big problems. i would send an oil sample in after a while if it hasnt cleared up.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok well, all I have to say is that, like bigg redd says here, most reman can still have problems, BUT in your case that it creates the same scenario, I have a bit of hard time to believe BUT remans can give you earlier problem if that makes sense. It can fail earlier but to fail instantly is pretty rare but not impossible. Personally I would still check other possibilities though. So if your sure coolant is ok and doesn't change then that shouldn't be the problem, but a sniff test at the tail pipe can tell, coolant will give a sweet smell odour. So I would still see there could be a mechanical issue, if you say a chuggle but still only when you start it when cold only, are sure that it doesn't continue through out as it warms up to normal temp? Did you notice how the truck performs when warm with this white smoke compare to the time it didn't it didn't smoked?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well Jsk8ter5, it's your call if you got the right compression adapter to do the compression test, I would recommended it. At the same time though, for assurance purposes send your injectors to a fuel or injector shop that can test them or that some call it PoP test. If you do all this you can see where the problem is coming from. Sorry dude but like I said, it's not impossible for a reman to bad instantly unfortunitely. But that MAY not be the case, but every possible scenario can be possible but it's by these test that can determined the problem. Hey if it turns out that the reman is bad you can get refunded for it, where ever you bought it. But sorry that you got to here that most reman aren't the best way to go, even, I know, cheaper but most reman use parts that are still good, as they say, but has thousand of miles on it, and who know how much.

Last edited by Benbri; 11-09-2015 at 11:52 PM.