5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

no control

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no control

Just the other morning it was 2 below zero and i had let the truck warm up for maybe 10 min and as i pulled out of the driveway i got dead pedal. not too surprising, i fought dead pedal a few times last winter. however this time when i pushed the pedal down nothing happened, then without warning it gave full throttle, then backed off so violently that it fluttered the turbo. this continued all the way down the street at 5:00 in the morning. it didnt even require pushing the pedal. i would just idle the truck down the road in drive then without warning it would give wot then let off after a few seconds and idle down the road again, then another burst of wot followed by the throttle backing off and barking the turbo. if i pushed the pedal one of two things would happen, either no response, or instant wot at the slightest crack of the pedal. So i took a different vehicle to work. later that evening i pulled the apps mount off and unplugged the sensor. it was clean and the electrical pins were shiny, looked brand new. so i plugged it back in, then did the procedure for resetting the apps, then drove it for about 20 miles, no problems and the throttle curve was very smooth and seemed much more aggressive in response. so i drove to work the following morning without incident. i pulled in the parking lot at work and as someone was walking out in front of me the pickup decided to charge. letting off the pedal had no effect it just kept pouring the coal to it. fortunately he was about fifty feet away and the parking lot was iced over so with the brakes smashed to the floor it kept me from going forward while the back tires madly spun till the truck remembered who the driver was. did the same thing about 100 feet later. Drove the pickup home without any more problems, but i dont dare drive it anywhere now. when the truck acts up it throws codes 2121 and 2123 right away. does the apps just need replaced? i just need to know what the right thing is to fix as it is extremely dangerous to drive. ive read about lots dodges with dead pedals but not many that are trying to kill the driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Travis

Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pedal Position Sensor

Sounds like you may have a pedal position sensor going bad. Based on the symptoms you described, and the P Codes from Dodge, you may want to have the throttle position sensor checked.

Here are the P Codes:
P2121 Pedal Position Sensor 1 Performance / Rationality
P2122 Pedal Position Sensor 1 Low
P2123 Pedal Position Sensor 1 High

----------
Additional Information

2004.5–’07 Dodge Cummins Component Changes

For those trucks equipped with the 48RE automatic transmission there are subtle changes in other components. A pedal position sensor has replaced the throttle position sensor and the cruise control vacuum actuator has been removed, having been replaced as an integrated function of the ECM. There were additional changes to ECM programming to give the transmission a more aggressive lock-up schedule and to enhance the shift schedule.

More codes:
P0121 Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too Low
P0122 Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) LowAPPS Voltage Input Too Low
P0123 Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too High
------------

Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just decided to order a Timbo APPS, everyone who has one seems to love it. Hope it solves the problem.