5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!

So I have a 2006 3500 that currently is bone stock. I loooove my truck but do want to give it a little bit more but keep my truck reliable. I'd be happy at 400 maybe 450 to the wheels. Any suggestions?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Smarty Jr. (by MADS Electronics)

Here's is my suggestion for your 3rd Gen Cummins. I have a 2006, and since I added the Smarty Jr., I could not be happier. It's just a 100 HP bump that is enough to put my truck at 450 RWHP with the other mods I put on the truck with stock injectors. See what you think.

Smarty (by MADS Electronics)
The Smarty (by MADS Electronics) is only made exclusively for the Cummins, and it does not require any re-wiring, nor does the Smarty delete or change any stock settings (programs) for your ECM (Engine Control Module), and with the push of one button you can re-set the Cummins to all original stock programs. Please note: The Smarty is not a chip, and takes 3-5 minutes to upload. The Smarty is does not stay on the truck as other chips.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Smarty or smarty Jr

or if you need gauges the edge Juice may be a good option.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

I would go with EFI Live, hands down the best tuner out there. Talk to some of our vendors on here about it or check out CumminsTuner.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jrconsultid
Here's is my suggestion for your 3rd Gen Cummins. I have a 2006, and since I added the Smarty Jr., I could not be happier. It's just a 100 HP bump that is enough to put my truck at 450 RWHP with the other mods I put on the truck with stock injectors. See what you think.

Smarty (by MADS Electronics)
The Smarty (by MADS Electronics) is only made exclusively for the Cummins, and it does not require any re-wiring, nor does the Smarty delete or change any stock settings (programs) for your ECM (Engine Control Module), and with the push of one button you can re-set the Cummins to all original stock programs. Please note: The Smarty is not a chip, and takes 3-5 minutes to upload. The Smarty is does not stay on the truck as other chips.

What else do you have done?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Default The Rest of the Story for Cummins & Truck Mods

Originally Posted by colton5190
What else do you have done?
1. Open up the air intake.
2. Remove the "silencer ring" in the turbo.
3. Open up exhaust (Straight pipe the exhaust).
4. Use a MADS Smarty Down Loader.
5. Keep injectors cleaned out. Use Lucas Fuel Additive "Injector Cleaner - Upper Cylinder Engine Lubricant" with every fill up at 2.0 oz/10 gallons of diesel.

When my 2006 was new, the RWHP was rated at 325 HP. After doing the above, the truck is now running at 445 RWHP consistently. Cleaning up my injectors and using Lucas helped quite a bit after installing the Smarty Jr. and setting to stock "torque management setting" and using the "performance setting" (#3). Basically, real simple stuff. I am aware of EFI Live, but I was put onto Smarty by a Cummins shop with no complaints.

FYI -- My other Dodge Cummins ('99.5, and '02), I changed to the Smarty Tuner for the 2nd Gen Cummins and rebuild the trans for more torque (850 ft-lbs) to handle the 190 HP bump. Both trucks are running solid at 411 RWHP with 805 ft-lbs of torque. My 2nd Gens are not the fastest trucks, but they are better than stock which is all I wanted. My 2001 is bone stock for now. Maintaining five Dodge Cummins trucks is about all I can handle.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by jrconsultid
1. Open up the air intake.
2. Remove the "silencer ring" in the turbo.
3. Open up exhaust (Straight pipe the exhaust).
4. Use a MADS Smarty Down Loader.
5. Keep injectors cleaned out. Use Lucas Fuel Additive "Injector Cleaner - Upper Cylinder Engine Lubricant" with every fill up at 2.0 oz/10 gallons of diesel.

When my 2006 was new, the RWHP was rated at 325 HP. After doing the above, the truck is now running at 445 RWHP consistently. Cleaning up my injectors and using Lucas helped quite a bit after installing the Smarty Jr. and setting to stock "torque management setting" and using the "performance setting" (#3). Basically, real simple stuff. I am aware of EFI Live, but I was put onto Smarty by a Cummins shop with no complaints.

FYI -- My other Dodge Cummins ('99.5, and '02), I changed to the Smarty Tuner for the 2nd Gen Cummins and rebuild the trans for more torque (850 ft-lbs) to handle the 190 HP bump. Both trucks are running solid at 411 RWHP with 805 ft-lbs of torque. My 2nd Gens are not the fastest trucks, but they are better than stock which is all I wanted. My 2001 is bone stock for now. Maintaining five Dodge Cummins trucks is about all I can handle.

Hope this helps.
So smartly or smart Jr? Btw thanks this is exactly I'm going to do.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Default To Clarify on Smarty

Originally Posted by colton5190
So smartly or smart Jr? Btw thanks this is exactly I'm going to do.
For the 3rd Gen Cummins, there are three tuners available. I choose the Smarty Jr because it was all I needed.