5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

03 SWAP electrical issues IPM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 03 SWAP electrical issues IPM?

Hello boys,
Been working with an 03 swap. I am running the electrical and found that the#30 thru #38 fuses are not getting power, ingnition off or on. Also not getting any power to the headlight connectors. Only the parking light wire is getting power at the connector. AND the turn signals arent working, but the relay clicks and the dash signals work. not sure if this is normal but the turn signal wire at the bulb connector is getting 9.2v with everything off.

To bring you up to speed, the complete 03 harness is in a 87 chevy. Everything to make it run and work in the dodge is now in the chev and everything was working fine in the dodge before it was parted.

I have checked all the grounds. I have the original cluster hooked up as a mother board for a modified chevy cluster. everything works there when I turn the key on.

So where the heck is the fuse or relay for the headlights???

I have heard that the IPM and FPM have relays inside and can corrode internally causing some issues but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any other ideas to try before I rip open the IPM to see whats up. It just seems odd that all switches and lights worked fine before the swap. Something is not making a connection...maybe its in my head!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

did the 03 have another fuse box in the engine compartment like my 97 does?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

could be something goin on with the cluster. what gm calls a bcm is called a cab module or something like that that is made in the cluster. Ive run into problems tracing down electrical gremlins and thought it was in the ipm or fpm but was prob within the cluster mainly that cab module

Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

did the 03 have another fuse box in the engine compartment like my 97 does?

The 03 only has one fuse box (integrated porwer module IPM) under the hood. everything runs through it.

I got the headlights, blinkers and parking lights to work. I just needed to hook them up to the bulbs. The IPM needs continuity in order to send power, hence the "lamp out" light and system. I also figured out the number 32-34 fuses which are the tail markers, I needed to have the headlight switch on...duh!
But I am still not getting power to the 35-39 which include the HVAC, ABS, and Visctronic fan that I kinda need (using the dodge rear end and hoping to include the ABS). I can put power to them with a jumper and I can hear the ABS module kick on, but then the adjustable pedal assembly relay (which the 03 was not equipped with but there had always been a relay there??) starts clicking on and off with the ignition off! I get no power back fed to any of the HVAC wires, they could be all run though ground??, I know the blower motor is. So I guess the HVAC has an internal relay that is not getting grounded?? The relays run the fuses right? there is no external HVAC relay. All I get to work on the original dodge HVAC switch is the illumination. I was hoping to simply use the wires needed from the dodge harness to run the chev HVAC switch. I can get the blower to work and the A/C is just a ground wire to the chevy switch. But I would like to get the visctronic fan to work and the ABS. I guess I will just run the jumper wire to power up the "missing link" in the fuse bolck and pull the stupid adjustable pedal relay. Something still must not be right in the IPM, but whats baffling is it all worked previously when in the dodge

could be something goin on with the cluster. what gm calls a bcm is called a cab module or something like that that is made in the cluster. Ive run into problems tracing down electrical gremlins and thought it was in the ipm or fpm but was prob within the cluster mainly that cab module

All the grounds in the dodge harness are grounded, the original dodge cluster is intact, hooked up and mounted behind the dash of the chevy and works, lights up/guages activate/dings. There still could be a problem there, I know that the dodge would not do a thing without the cluster hooked up. Ill have to check the connections.
I have a custum harness I made soldered into the dodge cluster to run the chevy cluster (another reconfigured dodge cluster mounted to the chevy bezel) the new chevy cluster has been hooked up and everything works on it the same. I hope I didnt screw anything up by soldering a few tiny wires to the back of the circuit board. I could'nt see that it would hurt anything.
Ill try and post up some pics of the whole project soon.