24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Headgasket Let Go.... Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
Geez!!!

You sure did tear the nose of that truck of yours!!! I thought you blew the head gasket???

Oh as for you radiator... You might want my Crankcase Vent bomb to fix that problem...
Crankcase Vent

yes the crankcase vent mod is a good un

Stock breather issues...
The main issue with OEM crankcase vent is it is nothing more than a piece of hose mounted to the front of the gear case. The piece of hose elbows over the case and points down towards the ground. There are two versions of this crankcase. One involves a drip bottle mounted on the end of the hose and the other does not.

A Technical Service Bulleting (TSB) was released on this issue as well: TSB (09-002-02 Crankcase Breather Overflow). This bulletin warns of potential of extreme loss of oil from a truck descending at to steep of a slope while off-roading. During this loss of oil, oil also has been known to scatter all over the engine and radiator. This scattering of oil causes the collection of dust and dirt in the face of the radiator. This collection causes overheating issues for your truck.

Even in with normal use, the cases that include a breather bottle, can emit enough oil vapors make the radiator gunky with the collection dirt and dust.

Another TSB on this issue is: TSB 09-02-00 (A Heavy Oil Or Fuel-Like Odor Coming From the Diesel Engine Compartment). This bulletin was written about the foul heavy oil smell after a oil change. Although it is normal for some brand of oils to have this heavy smell anyway.

My own personal fix…
To fix this issue, I personally created my own venting system for 2nd generation Cummins’ engines. Since my design I have never lost any oil while off-roading.

When I first started creating my vent, I looked at one main simple principal. If the front of the truck is facing down hill, then the vent pipe end needs to be higher than the oil level at any angle. I did this by running the pipe up and over the top of the engine. Then I ran it back down the back side of the engine. So now, no matter how steep the hill, the end of the vent pipe will be higher.

Since the end of the pipe is under the truck by the transmission, there are no problems with cooling or radiator plugging. The heavy oil smell is also gone since the pipe is now under the truck.

I do not use rubber hose in my creation. Rubber heater hose will eventually break down and collapse. This will cause a build up of crankcase pressure and start oil leakage around seals, which is not a good thing!

One other thing to be aware of if creating your own is the length of the vent. If the vent pipe is to long, it might start freezing the water vapor in the hose/pipe before it exits the pipe. This can once again cause problems with crankcase pressure

Attached Thumbnails Headgasket Let Go.... Pics-crankcase-vent-stock.jpg   Headgasket Let Go.... Pics-custom-crankcase-vent.jpg  
Old 05-18-2008, 04:42 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

another f'n fantastic weekend, sat worked 12 hrs on a job that was supposed to take 4, and today.....

Name:  100_3183.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  90.1 KB

11 days to IRP.... the green rig wont make it this year

Old 05-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Dang dude that hurts to look at after reading all of this.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

U blew another headgasket?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lukesdiesel
U blew another headgasket?
you got it bud!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 121 Likes on 84 Posts

thought you o-ringed and studded it?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

Damn that hurts to look at

Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

did you do your retorque before slinging it to it?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

damn man wtf........maybe you need to go back to a single?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

stupid question time...

if you are blowing HG's what boost are you running in these twins? anything over 52 without studs and this will continue to be an issue. give one of the sponsors a call for ARP studs (or equal) and a new (better) HG.

Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Headgasket Let Go.... Pics