24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Another vp44 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

My Raptor will push 20 pounds on initial prime and hold 19 at idle, have never had an issue with it. When I replaced my VP (before Raptor install) I spoke with someone from Industrial Injection and was told that he recommended somewhere around 18 psi at idle. I was told that is where the VP seems to be happiest on the test stand.

My Raptor holds 19 psi at idle and I have never seen it below 15 psi keep in mind I have nothing more than an old vanaken box.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 00' Quad Cab
My Raptor will push 20 pounds on initial prime and hold 19 at idle, have never had an issue with it. When I replaced my VP (before Raptor install) I spoke with someone from Industrial Injection and was told that he recommended somewhere around 18 psi at idle. I was told that is where the VP seems to be happiest on the test stand.

My Raptor holds 19 psi at idle and I have never seen it below 15 psi keep in mind I have nothing more than an old vanaken box.
So what are we getting at here? Yes my edge will pull down the fuel to 10 on 5x5 but on 1 or 2 it won't pull down past 15. Anything is going to be better than stock. You can run a raptor if the funds don't allow a fass or ad. At the time I put on my Holley I didn't gave the money for a raptor let along a fass or ad. I got the Holley from a member here brand new for $75 shipped. When it quits I'll buy a fass or ad and if I find myself I can't afford one I'll buy the raptor.

---
I am here:

Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

My edge also has an alarm for fuel pressure when it drops below 10 it let's you know. So I don't have to keep looking at my gauge. If pump fails alarm goes nuts. My pump has stopped on me one time and I didn't realize it (had hooked to gauge not edge) had to drive a couple miles to park it. Luckly nothing was hurt took pump apart cleaned it put it back together has been working over a yr now no issues. Not saying gauges are a bad thing but with out some kind of alarm you become very complacent with them. That's why I hooked up the edge.

---
I am here:

Old 02-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just learned that the truck already had the LP upgraded with the system in the tank. It runs 10psi, which I checked with Cummins Miami and they said 8-10 is perfectly fine as long as it is stock. The vp was the original unit but the truck was sitting, old filter and some algae. Has anyone else been ok with 10psi on a stock truck as changing the lift pump in the tank will be a chore to get 5 more psi?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Dock
I just learned that the truck already had the LP upgraded with the system in the tank. It runs 10psi, which I checked with Cummins Miami and they said 8-10 is perfectly fine as long as it is stock. The vp was the original unit but the truck was sitting, old filter and some algae. Has anyone else been ok with 10psi on a stock truck as changing the lift pump in the tank will be a chore to get 5 more psi?
Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt that the official dealer fix? didnt it have problems with not properly cooling the pump if it was run lower than 1/4 tank?

I may be wrong,

Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

It was worse than the original

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Diesel Fan

OK, if the in-tank LP was a bad fix, what do I do to correct it. Remember I just bought this beast and my finances/resources to R&R a tank are limited after paying for for the VP44 a week later? Can I get by on 10psi for a while with mild driving? Can you add an additional pump in the line to piggyback? Is there a fuel additive recommended to increase longevity, I have heard of adding a little 2 cycle oil but I am questionable of that?

I know I am full of questions and greatly appreciate the input, just trying not to loose faith in Cummins after all of my positive experience with them in heavy equipment and boats (darn good engines). We would see beyond 20,000 hrs of service with only basic maintenance in many cases.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dock
OK, if the in-tank LP was a bad fix, what do I do to correct it. Remember I just bought this beast and my finances/resources to R&R a tank are limited after paying for for the VP44 a week later? Can I get by on 10psi for a while with mild driving? Can you add an additional pump in the line to piggyback? Is there a fuel additive recommended to increase longevity, I have heard of adding a little 2 cycle oil but I am questionable of that?

I know I am full of questions and greatly appreciate the input, just trying not to loose faith in Cummins after all of my positive experience with them in heavy equipment and boats (darn good engines). We would see beyond 20,000 hrs of service with only basic maintenance in many cases.
First off you won't have to replace the tank. Get a better pump raptor fass airdog get it installed. get a fuel gauge installed ASAP. There is alot of info on this sight about this problem with alot of different options to choose.

Loose faith in the cummins? These are very good motors with minor problems. I still have my 01 and never plan on selling it it has 194k on the clock will sit for a month or 2 and will always fire right up.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Diesel Fan

Sorry, I meant to say R&R in-tank LP. I agree about the motors, they rely on what is bolted to them or what supports them. I am looking for a gauge and a better LP as I send this, going to learn how to drive with one eye on the gauge and the other on the road. The truck will sit in the driveway until I install the gauge for sure.

I do appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge again, just wish I read more into this issue prior to getting the truck. I would have still bought the truck but I would have taken the measures to avoid vp repalcement when I got it home (the truck is great all around).

Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I think the easiest way is to remove the bed. With the in tank pump I think you are going to need a draw straw. I have heard of some guys getting a liberty tank pickup and installing it for a pickup for pump. Hopefully someone will chime in about this mod.

Quick Reply: Another vp44 questions