24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling system

01 2500 has been sitting for a week, plugged in. Walked into the garage a noticed an abnormally large puddle under the pass. side front. The fluid had a green tint to it so I popped the hood and went to check coolant level. I turned the cap half a turn and antifreeze began rushing out, about 1/4 cup. Took the cap off an fluid was up still up to the top. Hose from motor to rad. is old but did not show any signs of leaking or cracks. Temps have been in the mid 40s dropping to abut 21 a few nights ago. To me, it seems like I may have a blockage. I drove the truck last Sunday for about 2 hours and cooling was fine, not to low or hot.

Adam

Old 02-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Maybe from a freeze plug.... I honestly don't know.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Seems weird to me that there'd be that much pressure, what was the hose going to the overflow doing (EDIT: what I meant was, is coolant overflow bottle full??) I'd change thermostat for ha-ha's and then take it for a drive (not far from home) and get it to temp, and see what happens...

Last edited by empty wallet; 02-06-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: braindead
Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

First drain coolant out in to a container. An easy way to tell if you have blockage is take thermostat out and disconnect the top rad hose (at the radiator) and put a water hose in the fill cap and turn it on. Once you have that turn the pick up on and let it circulate.

Is your heater still working??

Last edited by H.R.D; 02-07-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My gut reaction was also that you have a bad thermostat, but the more I thought about it, I dont think there is a problem. If it has been plugged in for a week unused during the moderate temps you describe then you are heating up the block at night (most likely) and continuing to heat it during the day when it does not need to be heated, I would guess that you ended up with coolant filling the upper rad hose and being held there by the non-movement of the water pump. Compound that with thermal expansion from the block heater and you have the situation you described.

My opinion is dont waste the electricity on the block heater unless you are going to be driving the truck. even then, i dont run mine until about 6 hours before i need it (use a heavy duty timer) unless its going to be below zero with wind since mine sits outside. then i leave it plugged in all night. with yours being garaged, i would say put it on a timer but dont use it unless its going to be below 20 degrees or so.

as for the puddle under the passenger side, i would suspect thermal expansion weeping past a hose clamp on the heater core.

But all that is just a guess. good luck

Old 02-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Diesel Fan

When I drove it last Sunday, it cooled normally and yes the heater was working. I do need to change the hoses and might as well on the thermo. As for UglyTrucks theory, I never would have thought about it that way and your probably right. Ive had it in much colder temps with out being plugged in so that would eliminate the possibly of any water freezing. The overflow bottle did have some fluid, a little less than half. Also, yes it is garaged. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post a thread on the Al's liner when you get it done. I have tried to navigate their website and it isnt very helpful. let us know how it works out and how durable it is.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Diesel Fan

I almost for got about doing that, thanks for reminding me. I do a write up soon. Otherwise, I love it.