24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Newbie, Smarty and Boost elbow query :/

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie, Smarty and Boost elbow query :/

Hi all,

My truck is a 2001 Dodge Ram single cab 24v Cummins 2WD 5spd. I have had the truck a little over a year and have done a few mods, the truck was completely stock when i bought it. The truck has 265565 miles.

Mods so far -
Baldwin BHAF
Pensecola 50hp injectors
Smarty
Raptor 150 fuel pump
Glacier Diesel Power big line kit
Banks Monster Ram intake and boost tube
Banks Heater delete
BD low fuel pressure warning light

Got a few questions !

I bought a boost elbow for the turbo and I was going to fit it but i test drove the truck first after the raptor and smarty and was a bit confused about my boost. With the Smarty on #4 (mild Catcher - no timing) and a heavy right foot im getting 28PSI of boost???

Is this right, if so is there any point in me fitting the boost elbow???

Also I have to be careful over here with smoke as the law dont like the smoke :/ ! With the smarty will the Catcher(s) with Timing result in more or less smoke? Its not too bad at the moment but I make sure not many people are about when I have a play as it does send a light cloud .

Cheers
Paul

Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

The elbow may give you some more boost, but I can't say for sure how much. As for the smoke, the higher the level on the Smarty, the more you will get at low end. All levels give the same HP, its just how aggressively it gets to that extra power.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your smarty won't give yo any smoke at all if, and only if you let your turbo get to spooling before you stand on her. I am pretty happy with my smarty, and true with the 28 psi, I think you would be wasting your time w/ the boost elbow. I would say that you are pretty well maxed out on your stock hx35 turbo. I get about 38 out of my hybrid, and it spools faster than my 35 did.
Also , what do you you think of your pensacola injectors? I have the same ones and wonder everyday if they are a cause of my lousy economy?

Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok that makes sense!

So what is the benefit of the settings on the smarty with timing? What difference does the catcher with the timing add on make? Am i right in thinking the Smarty only adds around 65hp? It feels way more than that ?

Also Crazycooter i still seem to get smoke at 28psi but its no where near as dense, more like a smog, im gathering this is just the slightly bigger injectors?
Ive found the injectors to be pretty good, I have only noticed a small drop in MPG from stock, although my stockers were truely screwed!
I gathered 28psi would be the top end for the HX, I assume the wastegate is just being overcome, hence the 28psi? What kind of power do you think I should be seeing with my mods so far? Yet to put it on a dyno . I have slip on my 6 month old clutch after only a week of smarty and 28psi of boost when I get on the power

I wish i was over there for fuel, they are robbing me over here, £1.48 per litre ($2.34 per litre )

Old 02-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTJUNKIE
Ok that makes sense!

So what is the benefit of the settings on the smarty with timing? What difference does the catcher with the timing add on make? Am i right in thinking the Smarty only adds around 65hp? It feels way more than that ?

Also Crazycooter i still seem to get smoke at 28psi but its no where near as dense, more like a smog, im gathering this is just the slightly bigger injectors?
Ive found the injectors to be pretty good, I have only noticed a small drop in MPG from stock, although my stockers were truely screwed!
I gathered 28psi would be the top end for the HX, I assume the wastegate is just being overcome, hence the 28psi? What kind of power do you think I should be seeing with my mods so far? Yet to put it on a dyno . I have slip on my 6 month old clutch after only a week of smarty and 28psi of boost when I get on the power

I wish i was over there for fuel, they are robbing me over here, £1.48 per litre ($2.34 per litre )

Yes on a VP powered truck you have to tap the pump wire to get any more the 65hp over stock. So your thinking is correct. 65hp is a good kick in the pants difference...

Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for that HRD.

Any rough thoughts on power with my current mods???
Must get it on a dyno ASAP

Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

if your still getting a good haze at 28psi it's the injectors and they are probably a dirty injector

Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Slight haze; but no egt concerns doesn't seem like a problem to me turbo upgrade will take care of your haze as long as you don't increase the fuel. Look at it this way; that turbo was designed for stock fuel and timing. Of course you're going to see more particulate. Hope you get it where you want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
Slight haze; but no egt concerns doesn't seem like a problem to me turbo upgrade will take care of your haze as long as you don't increase the fuel. Look at it this way; that turbo was designed for stock fuel and timing. Of course you're going to see more particulate. Hope you get it where you want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
with that size injector it should run just fine and be clean. I have bigger injectors than that on an hx with no haze issue.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 AM
Diesel Fan

To be honest I never thought I'd get a completely clean burn with more fuel and stock turbo, don't think I'm far off!
Maybe around 35psi would clean it up, hmmm bigger turbo needed!
I would love twins to run even cleaner but I just can't justify the price tag they carry.

Upgraded clutch needs to come first !