24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

E-brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default E-brake

so on an 01 ram 2500 with disk rear brakes im sure that each tires holds the truck a certain way when the parking brake is engaged.... as in the drivers side holds it from rolling fwd when parking brakes engaged but i can't find anywere side holds the truck from rolling witch way. has anybody else had this issue? or is more expierienced with this? thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

im not so sure it matters a parking brake applies just as a typical drum brake would, evenly so that both side hold in both directions. i have never heard someone say that one holds it one way and the other holds the other way. that just honestly doesnt make much since to me.

The following users liked this post:
Nazty 4X4 (08-10-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if they're set up the same as drums, they hold both ways. but that being said, i worked on a car that had a mechanical caliper thing and didn't have shoes. i gripped the rotor with pads.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by thebullet83
if they're set up the same as drums, they hold both ways. but that being said, i worked on a car that had a mechanical caliper thing and didn't have shoes. i gripped the rotor with pads.
I have a VW like that.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

It has a drum-in-hat style parking brake design and utilizes an independent set of shoes to park the vehicle. It works both ways, if it's not working both ways It's a pretty simple fix!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

they aren't working both ways...so im not sure what to do about it any ideas?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

First thing to do would be check the adjustment, or perform the adjustment for that matter with the following procedure.

Exactly How the Factory Manual shows to adjust.
ADJUSTMENT

NOTE: Tensioner adjustment is only necessary when the tensioner, or a cable has been replaced or disconnected for service. When adjustment is necessary, perform adjustment only as described in the following procedure. This is necessary to avoid faulty park brake operation.

1. Raise the vehicle.
2. Back off the cable tensioner adjusting nut to create slack in the cables.
3. Remove the rear wheel/tire assemblies. Then remove the brake drums.
4. Verify the brakes are in good condition and operating properly.
5. Verify the park brake cables operate freely and are not binding, or seized.
6. Check the rear brake shoe adjustment with standard brake gauge.
7. Install the drums and verify that the drums rotate freely without drag.
8. Install the wheel/tire assemblies.
9. Lower the vehicle enough for access to the park brake foot pedal. Then fully apply the park brakes.

NOTE: Leave park brakes applied until adjustment is complete.
10. Raise the vehicle again.
11. Mark the tensioner rod 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) from edge of the tensioner.
12. Tighten the adjusting nut on the tensioner rod until the mark is no longer visible.

CAUTION: Do not loosen, or tighten the tensioner adjusting nut for any reason after completing adjustment.

13. Lower the vehicle until the rear wheels are 15 - 20 cm (6 - 8 inch) off the shop floor.
14. Release the park brake foot pedal and verify that rear wheels rotate freely without drag. Then lower the vehicle.

The Next Step would be verify the condition of the rear rotor and Inner parking drum, if there's signs of wear it's a good time to replace. Then determine if new parking shoes are needed. Verify the cables have free movement once disconnected. If you cant find anything sometimes the best thing to do is figure a complete parking brake rebuild in which you would order the Parking brake hardware kit, Parking brake shoes, and Rotor's and cables if needed. Another note, If there is any binding in the pads (the brake pads *service brakes*) between the pad and bracket, Clean until pads move freely to prevent a soft or low pedal. Also verify the caliper moves freely on it's slides. Slides are available at an auto parts store very cheap. These last two items are the probably the biggest problems with disc brake systems and cause frequent and expensive repairs if not fixed correctly.

The following is the instructions on replacing the rear shoes, as you can see their vague...for the fact it's a simple process. If you were to need help diagnosing your brakes any further or in the repair you could post here again and folks will be glad to help!

REMOVAL - REAR DRUM IN HAT PARK BRAKE SHOES - 2500/3500

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
3. Remove the disc brake caliper
4. Remove the disc brake rotor
5. Lockout the Harking brake cable.
6. Disengage the park brake cable from behind the rotor assembly to allow easier disassembly of the park brake shoes.
7. Disassemble the rear park brake shoes.
INSTALLATION - REAR DRUM IN HAT PARK BRAKE SHOES - 2500/3500
1. Reassemble the rear park brake shoes.
2. Release the parking brake cable.
3. Install the disc brake rotor.
4. Install the disc brake caliper, .
5. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
6. Lower the vehicle.

Hope this get's you started, As i said, if you need help just let us know!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Just read what I posted and the adjustment is actually for the drum style. Most drum in hat styles adjust the same and can be done manually if the auto adjust isn't working. Once apart you'll find it simple to adjust them

Last edited by mysterync; 02-25-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

part of my problem is i have way to much slack in my cable there is no pressure on my pedal till 3/4 of the way to the floor

Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Adjust the tensioner on the driver side frame rail till the tension is more acceptable.