24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Sputter/buck

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel
and the 01-02 has a cam and crank sensor. but if one of them goes it will throw codes. so that kinda rules out that.

Not true. Mine is an '01 and only has a cam sensor. Has a cover over the spot for the crank sensor on the side of the block and I believe '02's are the same.

RR

Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by kingbrad89
So lately I've been trying to figure something out that's killing me. My 01 is occasionally sputtering above 2k rpm at highway speeds when I get on it. Say goin 70mph, overdrive obviously, give it some throttle up to about 2100, 2200 rpm and that's about where it starts to sputter/buck. I have 15psi fuel pressure at all times. Initially I thought it felt like the trans OD slipping but then kicked it down to 3rd with the converter locked and it did the same thing. Only not quite as bad. So i don't think it's the trans. It's one of those things that is so hard to figure out where it's coming from. Truck runs perfect otherwise. I ordered a new airdog filter for sh*ts and giggles, but it's only a little over a year old so it's most likely ok. It seemed like it started as soon as it got cold out. Could it be bad fuel? I run diesel kleen in every tank. Sometimes it doesn't sputter at all and runs fine, but most of the time it does what I listed here. Any ideas?
Mine does the sputtering to.It could be the torque management also that the 01 and 02 have.I tryed mine with the edge off this morning and it did not do it.I also loaded the smarty (on 9) I have turned the edge off and still didnt do it.

Last edited by turbo20psi; 01-14-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sputter/buck

Originally Posted by banditsdiesel
new injectors dont mean a thing. if the spring/pop off pressure isnt right they will buck and it will be more noticeable in the cold. mine are fine ish in the warmer weather but in this extreme cold we are in now it will beat you out of the truck. so they are coming back out to drop the pop off on them. and your sig said comp so that were i got that. you still wanna unhook it and try that it will be a quick way to rule it out.
I don't know where u got comp out of my signature haha. It says edge juice with att

Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

my bad i looked at the wrong sig. i looked at the one under yours.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sputter/buck

Haha no harm done buddy