24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Can't See At Night

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't See At Night

Just finished and 2500 to 3000 mile trip working as a volenteer building homes for families in need (if interested check the site out http://feelgoodtvshows.com/). Spent 2 weeks in Cabo San Lucas and had an excellent expierence. After driving there from Los Angeles (1200 each way) I am more impressived with my truck. I towed a trailer, filled to the brim with tools and donated supplies in addition to a lance truck camper in the bed. Truck performed flawleesly.
How was the trip...saw a gun fight, 1 head on collision, cops chasing someone, a drunk pucking while driving through a red light, street races and 5 flat tires on the trailer. The highlites....diesel was 0.56 per liter (3.8 lt to a gallon = about 2.24/gal), the mexican people are the nicest anywhere, the food is great, tourist suck especially americans/european, and the truck drives are friendly and phemononal drives (why aren't they any good here?).
Why am I posting? The truck ran great but the head lights suck...what can do? I have seen a post from Doc Evil saying he changed his but I can't find it. Would like to change the light and run power through a relay (saving the switch). Any leads would help.
Thanks

Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 319 Likes on 271 Posts

You can change to Sylvania SilverStars which are very bright or you can install an HID system.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Welcome to the non-sport versions of our trucks. The only way to actually make a difference is to convert to the halogen headlights. I've tried about everything else and some things help but don't make a big enough difference to be worthwhile. You can find the kits to do this all over the place but look for one that is DOT approved, many are not.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Bubba
Have you tried the Sylvania SilverStars? and do the halogen run through the light switch? If so will th eextra juice fry the the switch?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I will need to replace both bulb and lens. The lens is "fogged up". If I go with the halogen offered by Sylvania, which lens do I use. Stock fogged up an I would not want the same thing to happen in the future.

Last edited by Greg; 11-18-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
BOMBARDIER

I've got the Siverstars in right now, they help but not much. I'm still waitin on my Halogens to show up so I can't give you details yet on how they wire up. Someplace in here is a writeup on the details of doing this.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 PM
BOMBARDIER

Almost every other truck out there has two seperate bulbs for the low and high beams, including the sport version of our trucks. In our case we only have one bulb for low and high beam and this makes the headlights weak. I think it's the way the lens cover is made myself, it diffuses the light to much coming from one bulb. The European style clear lenses will also help out some, but again by the time you pay twice the normal bulb price for the Silverstar's and then buy the new lenses you may as well buy the halogen kit and do it right the first time.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I agree with doing it right the first time. I am knowledable about a couple things but not about lights. I am assuming the halogen bulb will draw more current possible causing the switch to heat up, this is why I am asking about running the switch through a relay. Is my assumption correct? 2nd Is the halogen require a diffent lens? Where did you order yours?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 PM
BOMBARDIER

Here's a link to all the info I think your lookin for about this topic.

https://www.dieselbombers.com/showth...hlight=halogen

Old 11-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Ive got Silverstars in my truck it helped some but not much

Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Found this regarding lights https://www.dieselbombers.com/showth...hlight=Halogen

Maybe Maj Easy will tell how they worked out. Need to keep reading

Quick Reply: Can't See At Night