24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found an inexpensive extension IAT cable w/connectors from this Pontiac site http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=184&catid=108
I think it was less than 15 bux. I did this to move the IAT into the air feed horn above the grids. I have truer air temp readings and serviceability is very easy now. Tapping the aluminium air horn was very easy.

William

Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 AM

This High Idler will save you lots of money. Just "dial-up" the RPM you want.
This is from the TDR.

William

Attached Thumbnails High Idle-highidlerqx9.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Dr. Evil (12-13-2007)
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by WTBurke
This High Idler will save you lots of money. Just "dial-up" the RPM you want.
This is from the TDR.

William
Cool idea and thanks for the info. Now what the hell does it mean. I'm sure everybody else on here will look at it and have it all mapped out on the spot but I'm scratchin my head. I wanna do this if I can find out what goes where.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 AM

Uncle B.
The circuit is very simple (Radio-Shack stuff) the double pull double pole toggle activates the relay and allows the input DC resistance of the APPS to be modified by the pot. The ECM thinks you have your foot on the accelerator holding it at a set RPM level. The LED activates to let you know you have it engaged. Splicing into the APPS leads can be done in a clean fashion with heat-shrink tubing.

This package looks factory, boxed correctly and I think this is what some guys are charging $500 bux for

William

Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Any pictures to help out here. Or maybe you could just put a starter kit together and post it for sale in the "Basement Enterprises" section of the site. Make a few dollars off your efforts.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 AM

Sorry...my explanation was without coffee...I'm on the west coast.
The single toggle switch activates the double-pull double-throw relay. and places the dial-up resistance in-line to the ECM.

Uncle B...I wish I had time to provide the service but, I work many hours and I wouldn't be able to do this correctly if requests came to me. It is so very simple to do and I share this with fellow CTD 2nd Gen owners because some of what I've seen in the past regarding High-Idle mods are way over priced for what you get.

BTW...Mike...Mopar1973....good to see you here....I've followed your threads else where. I'm 2 cycle adding all the time now and my trip to Utah and Montana really proved your findings to me. Nice work old man!

William

The following users liked this post:
Mopar1973Man (12-17-2007)
Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Well I got more update to my web pages concerning the high idle now...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2.../high-idle.htm

Here is thew schematic for the high idle function...

I'm really curious about what BossHogg will build for his version...

Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Mike, I like your's better then mine due to simplicity. I assume you have this installed now....how does it perform?

William

Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been involved with similar on both the TDR and the DTR. Here's a link to the DTR thread where we made the most progress: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d.php?t=123156.

I ended up dropping out of the discussions after getting an exhaust brake. Those guys carried it through and got it to work though.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by WTBurke
Mike, I like your's better then mine due to simplicity. I assume you have this installed now....how does it perform?

William
Sorry not yet... I've done all the raw testing and was waiting for the plugs to be found. Now I found a cable with the plugs I can oder it and start building the final version...

It sucks to unplug the IAT senosr and hook in my tester setup (a single resistor) but it works great...

Quick Reply: High Idle