24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

just installed my cab lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default just installed my cab lights!!

just got my recon smoked cab lights installed!! install went pretty smoothly and is a lot easier than what it is made out to be. I took pics and i will post them up later. only question i have is what color is the wire for the park lamps? i couldn't figure it out and started runnin short on time so the wire is ran off my fuse for the stereo, so if the key is on the lights are on which is not what i want. i want them on when my park lamps or headlights are on like they should be. thanks guys!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:01 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

According to my schematic, it is a Black wire with Yellow tracer, 16gauge.

The following users liked this post:
kegs99 (10-03-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet! i'll try that first thing in the morning thanks!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I dropped the headliner all but the rear two push pins because they are a pain in the ! Name:  lookinin.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  5.2 KB it was pretty self explanitory to remove. the only surprise to me was the rear coat hook hanger things. they slide apart to pull out and slide together to lock into place...Name:  coathanger.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  4.4 KB
Once the headliner was dropped i could see the "template" for where to drill my holes and run my wires through. Name:  roof.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  4.2 KB
to drill my holes i just eyeballed the center of the hole of the template and used a small punch to mark center. then i drilled a small 1/8 inch drill bit then made it bigger using the same bit i used to drill my egt probe (i think 21/64?) which was plenty of room. then i lined my lights up on top taking time to measure them out. i put them 41/4 from the windshield seal and the center lights where 67/8 apart at the holes for screws. the outside lights where 11 1/2 from the outside light to the inner side light closest to it. again measuring from screw holes. then i measured up along the door seal from the windshield seal 5 inches and made a mark. then i measured from the outside light outside screw hole to the 5 inch mark. it is set at 5 1/8. i set them, marked them with a sharpie and kept checking to make sure everything looked straight standing in front of the truck. I took a pencil and outlined the light, then i drilled my screw holes, and screwed the lights in place.
there was no wiring harness and my lights did not come with one so i had to do some self wiring, but it wasn't that hard either.
once i was wired i put the interior back together before doing the silicone so i didn't get black all over my headliner. then i used black silicone to seal up the base of the lights. for a little added protection i put a small dab over each screw spot.
Name:  roofout.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  2.7 KB
I figured when i need to change a bulb i can always get out a pocket knife and scrape it away down the road. and here they are all installed and lit up at night...
Name:  litup.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  5.7 KB i think it came out pretty good for a one man self install in two hours, and i've never pulled a headliner before. pretty simple to do, just take your time and get the lights set right, you don't wanna have crooked lights, and u really don't want a bunch of holes.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

for some reason i can't post pics i even tried to just put up a link from photobucket...but it didn't work either
the pics are all in my album called cab lights

Last edited by DIRTYMAX2004; 10-03-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost