24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

trans again

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default trans again

ok so my trans started out not shifting from first into second without letting out of the throttle then feathering it back in i took it to my diesel shop and he tighten the bands and it was better than ever a week later i am pulling my mowing trailer and it will not shift into od,
i unhooked my trailer and drove it still hot and it shifted all the way through and into od no problems, took a shower and me and the wife went out to dinner i drove down my road and it shifted perfect turned onto the next road and it shifted up but would not go into od,
after about a mile it went into od. we ate dinner and left up the road it shifted fine,then from the stop light it did it again no od, i have no trouble codes no warnings on my trans temps no bad noises and it works perfect one minute and no od the next any ideas, you are suppose to check the fluid with it warm and in neutral right? i have atf+4 in it and a brand new filter and my diesel guy told me after he tighten the bands that my tranny was fine as far as the gears go, like i said one minute it shifts perfect all the way to od and the next no od i also feel a surge like it backs up a gear before it won't shift into od.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Sounds like a solenoid to me that is getting clogged.May want to clean the TB to.Here is a rebuild kit that I have used in may trucks.
"RE" HD Master Electrical Kit 00 Up

Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

if i buy a kit like this is it something you need a degree to install i mean i work on most of my stuff but i have never ever touched an auto tranny did it come with instructions i have been thinking about doing a kit like this but i was also thinking of a rebuild kit i would prolly let my diesel guy do a rebuild kit but i may need this now but would this throw a code if it was bad or even trashed out alittle

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

so i adjusted the tv cable and changed the trans speed sensor when i pulled it out it had what looked like metal standing str8 up on the end of it but when i touched it it was like a nasty gel i just changed it 6 months ago but anyway i added some lucas trans conditioner to it and drove it about 5 miles and it seems alright, but i checked for codes before i changes the sensor and it was clear, if i had a solenoid prob would it throw codes i can check codes while i drive and my tps and everything checks out with the right voltage, if i had a major problem it seems like it would not shift perfect one minute and then not shift out of 3rd the next im at a loss unless this fixed it, im gonna go out to eat about twenty miles there and twenty back if its gonna act up it will on this trip let me know about the codes for the solenoids, lukes input is always needed thanks for all your help lukes and diesel bombers members you guys are the best

Last edited by DobermanDiesels; 04-24-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

so i re adjusted the tv cable today and i got alot better shifting and no problems since did but i just have a feeling i putting band aids on it, im gonna let xtreme Diesel in yadkinville nc do a complete rebuild he will do a rebuild for 2 grand plus whatever torque convertor i choose but i choose my on valve body and he will put all the hard parts and some high quality clutches plus he will dyno it for 1000 hp and warranty it for 5 years or 500 thousand miles but if anybody has any other ideas im open to then all