24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

you will never believe this!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you will never believe this!

i was pushing snow the other morning and the throttle stuck wide open. Im sure something froze up. So im running wide open in sixth down the highway. i thought id shut the truck off and coast into a parking lot. Well i shut the key off even took it out and the truck wouldnt die. I drove two miles with the key in my hand wide open down the highway. By this time im running about 90 with stop lights ahead. i had to stop somehow i thought id kill the motor. I set the e brake and held the brakes down tried to kill the motor and it still wont die. finally the clutch burned up and i got out and unplugged the batteries and it was over. Got the rig home its sitting in the shop 80 degrees and it runs fine throttle works. Why in the heck would i be able to run a few miles with the key in my hand. Also i looked everywhere and i couldnt find ice or any blockage of the throttle cable. the it moves just fine. I just want to know why it wouldnt die?? any ideas

Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 AM

Check your turbo piping and turbo for oil in the pipes before intake or intercooler. If the turbo leaks oil and it can cause the engine to run on that oil causing a runaway effect.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bobracing32
Why in the heck would i be able to run a few miles with the key in my hand.
How the heck did you steer?

The following users liked this post:
Red_Rattler (12-14-2009)
Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would of been freaking out almost thinking it was a runaway if it would the RPMs kept climbing. My brothers 02 Silverado that he kind of trashed, he was able to pull the key out and it would still be running. I don't know, but I'd have nightmares after an experience like yours.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Talk about pucker factor settin in. Hope the truck seat and britches cleaned up alright.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

it was definatly a ride. I drive a race car and well ive never gotten a rush like i did in the truck. It was a little hairy there for a bit. Funny thing is i had a buddy with me. I took the key out and im not sure why but i told him to hold it. Needless to say it was a four lane highway at 4am no one was on the road. i was driving down the center or the road. I tried to pull over then the steering wheel locked. talk about being afraid. I had to get the key from him and put it back in before the ditch ate us for breakfast.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

whaqt would you do if this was to happen in an automatic trans truck would you be able to just throw it into nuetral

Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NCFPD
whaqt would you do if this was to happen in an automatic trans truck would you be able to just throw it into nuetral
i wouldnt put it in neutral. if you did then your motor rpms would sky rocket and blow something up

i had this happen to me with my old 80 chev but mine was a linkage problem in the middle of the day with lunch hour traffic took it to the curb messed my steering all up almost hitting a tree dam brakes sucked in that truck

Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah i tried the neutral thing. well it worked for a minute then i realized id rather pay for a clutch than a motor.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Any idea's yet on what happened here. Were all kinda playin around with it here but this is some serious stuff. If it could happen again I'd like to know what went wrong, whoever it happens to next time may not be so lucky as to have open highway time to think abut it.