24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

you will never believe this!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard of old cummins not shutting up when you pull the key out but no one the newer ones

Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

im puttin the new clutch in now, and ive been looking over the truck trying to figure something out. The only thing i can come up with for the throttle sticking is ice. Ive got the cover off the cable assembely under the hood. but i looked ant the clock spring is good no ice no blockage of any kind. Ive always had a slight run on maybe a second or two after i shut the key off. But ive never been able to pull the key out and it still run. I was thinking maybe the turbo timer in the chip. but when you "tap" the brakes its supposed to shut off. and i deffinatly "tapped" the brakes. Im just not sure why it kept going. I would rather loose a clutch then let it redline for how long.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

On my Edge Attitude it is a tap of the accelerator for "Emergency Shutdown" The brake does nothing on it to shut it down. Still an odd situation.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

maybe your turbo timer messed up as well? Not sure what box you have but on my first ADR box the turbo timer never shut off. I had to either kill the power to the box or disconnect the wire going to the engine fuse. It is possible your box did something similiar.

I don't know how the wiring is set up but maybe something stuck in that circuit(relay perhaps? though I don't remember seeing an engine relay anywhere) that cause the engine to stay running.

Now if it were running on oil or some other means besides fuel from the injectors that would explain the running away too. Then throwing it in neutral would most definitely grenaded your engine, however if it was from the turbo timer messing up or some other problem in that circuit it would have hit the rev limiter and most probably stayed there until you could get the truck stopped and shut off.

I'd hate to see what would have happened had you had a dual disk clutch

Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

well ive got the edge attitude. and my bad i meant to say hit the accelerator instead of the brake. but i was trying everything to get it shut down. i do remember it was my first time ever running two stroke oil in the truck?? people say an ounce to a gallon. i put in 16 ounces to 34 gallons. so i was just under half of what people normally run

Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

I can think of reason's for the throttle sticking it was the not shutting off that would bother me the most. The throttle sticking could have been an ice up cable, frayed cable that hung up in the cable housing, snow packed in there somehow since you said you were plowing, APPS goin haywire in the cold weather.

I'm just paranoid about the not bein able to shut the truck down. That ones bad news no matter how you look at it.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

yea that deff scares me to and i am hesitant to ever have my family ride in m ytruck again

Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NCFPD
yea that deff scares me to and i am hesitant to ever have my family ride in m ytruck again
Yea no kidding makes ya think a little

Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

is there and air cut off of some sort out on the market that will let you kill the motor

Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NCFPD
is there and air cut off of some sort out on the market that will let you kill the motor
x2 Thought about the same thing after i posted earlier