24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

you will never believe this!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 PM
K50
Diesel Bomber
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Fuel solenoid?

My uncle had a 95 cummins that this happened to once. Wouldn't shut off even with the keys out. I'm trying to remember, I don't remember exactly but would a fuel solenoid sound correct? It was something electronic with the fuel control that failed. Replaced it and the problem went away. Same problem as you - only way to shut off the truck was to dump the clutch in top gear.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

its an 01 so no fuel solenoid. Only the 12 valves had those.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok boys ill scare you some more. just got my new clutch in and thought id take it for a drive ran great the 5 blocks i drove it. back home for supper. half hour later i wanted to take it for a longer drive. throttle is stuck.... at idle luckily. pull it in the shop che check everything out. i cant find where its hanging up. so im a redneck first thing i do is step on it harder. it broke free. i lubed it up and flipped it back and forth a while no hang ups. take it out on the road mile away from the house im runnin 45 and keep bumpin the throttle tryin to work it in and make sure it doesnt happen again. sure **** i feel it start to catch. i at least was just at low rpms. i babied it home, got it back in the shop. and now i cant get it to move at all. It sat in my shop for 5 days now and heats on 75 during the winter so i know its not freezing. especially when i keep revin it up we all no it wont freeze up if its moving. Honestly im stumped. Ill get a new cable tomorrow im tired of the "close calls"

Also most of you all know more about diesels than me. what is the second cable next to the throttle cable. it runs underneith the drivers battery. when im moving the throttle that cable will not move. I believe it might be some sort of vacuum. I didnt take to much time to look.

I need help soon i race for a living and im starting to be more afraid of driving this truck than i am of getting hurt racing.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

get yourself an exhaust brake!!!! or jake brake.... or a fuel cut off set up, or an air shut off set up (like they use on sled pullers).. souds like a runaway effect, but do check the butterfly valves for junk.. heck your floormats and see if there catching it

Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

I know my cable has been frayed for a few years now and I been wonderin when it was gonna happen to me that some of those broken cables get caught up in the cable housing and stick it but I keep puttin the project off and so far so good.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

second cable goes to a vacuum diaphram under the battery which is your cruise control actuator, might want to look into that too.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
BOMBARDIER

I just had this same thing happen to me today. I let off the the throttle and it didn't come back up. Put my foot under the pedal and pulled it up but that didn't do anything so I threw it in Neutral, which sent the Tach all the over to the far side of Redlined and ran like hell to get the hood up. I reached in and pushed the throttle lever back over by hand. In my case the throttle cable being frayed got a strand stuck in the housing. What a sick feeling wondern if the motor was gonna blow while I was fumblin for the hood latch, pullin off the side of the road with a 40ft trailer behind me and tryin to find the door handle all at the same time.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh boy,think i'll lube the throttle cable tommorow.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
BOMBARDIER

Pull the plastic cover off the housing, I threw this away years ago myself and then pull back what looks like a straw that covers the cable and check it for fraying. I've seen a few trucks with this same issue.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

try disconncting all the cables off the tps. feel if it has any crunchy or sand paper feel.
is it smooth.
my tps wore out and it went wfo a few times. nothing i wasnt allready at a stop light.
try checking and resetting the tps. look for tps adjust. if not i can help you in the right direction.
i ended up getting a new tps and its been fine. calibrate it every 6months. you would be suprised how fast they loose calibration.
glad your ok.
keep up updated.