24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Advise on finding a good shop.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy D
Thanks gentleman, I'm going to try to order my pumps soon, I'm gona do it! I got tools, I'm just a little intimidated because of the price of the pump. I'll do it!

Thanks again
That'a boy
do your reading up wile your waiting for the pump and ask any question you need iv been here and willing to help some one else

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

just pay attition to the "key way"

Last edited by ja-mudder; 12-06-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Billy D (12-07-2009)
Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i was intimidated to work on my truck at first untill i talked to these guys. If i could install an air dog 150 by my self then i think if you know what a wrench is and have a little common sense then you can do just about anything. If you have any questions MOST people on here have done this before and can answer it, even if it is a dumb question then ask.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I unerstand what you guys are saying about saving money by doin it yourself, but I know that with ken and I'd asume any good reputable shop, when they do the work, there is an unspoken innsurance policy that they will at the very least give you a heck of a price break the second time around, but if the problem was their fault they will usually take care of it, and while I do believe that I could do alot more of the work on my truck myself, ( if I really had a place to) and since I don't exactly have the largest bank account, I can't afford to replace a $1000-plus part, when I can have it installed by a professional for a couple hundred.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J-Pipes
I unerstand what you guys are saying about saving money by doin it yourself, but I know that with ken and I'd asume any good reputable shop, when they do the work, there is an unspoken innsurance policy that they will at the very least give you a heck of a price break the second time around, but if the problem was their fault they will usually take care of it, and while I do believe that I could do alot more of the work on my truck myself, ( if I really had a place to) and since I don't exactly have the largest bank account, I can't afford to replace a $1000-plus part, when I can have it installed by a professional for a couple hundred.
I cant go with you on this one
Most of us here are because we love doing the work our self
Hell 2 weeks ago I bought a 20 ton shop press and a large balljoint press kit and do my own ball joints even after buying all this + parts I STILL SAVED $$$$$$

In past year i figured out between my 2 trucks and the girls yukon iv saved over 9,000$ and ya I spent some time pissed off but in the end I love it and when Im no where close to a shop and **** go's to hell Ill be wrench'n

Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ja-mudder
I cant go with you on this one
Most of us here are because we love doing the work our self
Hell 2 weeks ago I bought a 20 ton shop press and a large balljoint press kit and do my own ball joints even after buying all this + parts I STILL SAVED $$$$$$

In past year i figured out between my 2 trucks and the girls yukon iv saved over 9,000$ and ya I spent some time pissed off but in the end I love it and when Im no where close to a shop and **** go's to hell Ill be wrench'n

you do save alot of money doing it your self!!! And by buying those presses you have them for life and can do it on anything now, even help a friend.

And yes the parts are expensive but thats where the common sence and asking questions comes into play. most people install aftermarket parts for power do it them self for the love of the sport.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firstdiesel
you do save alot of money doing it your self!!! And by buying those presses you have them for life and can do it on anything now, even help a friend.

And yes the parts are expensive but thats where the common sence and asking questions comes into play. most people install aftermarket parts for power do it them self for the love of the sport.
100% with ya now
and if any of ya boys anywhere close to me need a press or anything just hit me up

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
BTI
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 2 people work on my truck.
Me and Ken McCabe......New Lex (Bristol) OH 740-342-5007
I do the grunt stuff, I let him do the technical......
And after hearing his price to do my head gasket...it looks awful technical.....LOL
Good work, fair price.....no BS......well no BAD BS

BTI

Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BTI
Only 2 people work on my truck.
Me and Ken McCabe......New Lex (Bristol) OH 740-342-5007
I do the grunt stuff, I let him do the technical......
And after hearing his price to do my head gasket...it looks awful technical.....LOL
Good work, fair price.....no BS......well no BAD BS

BTI
Head gaskets are not technical Just another job
I replaced the head gasket in a buds 12valve last winter in the driveway so we only worked on weekends during the daylight and waited for a warm spell and it only took 3 days total and that was mabe a 18hr out there springer compresser is all you need spechal total cost was under 300 for everything said and done
Whats the going rate for a shop to do one now days

and the 18 hr included resurfacesing or replacing everything we touched and doing a general tune up too

Last edited by ja-mudder; 12-09-2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM
BTI
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ja-mudder
Head gaskets are not technical Just another job
I replaced the head gasket in a buds 12valve last winter in the driveway so we only worked on weekends during the daylight and waited for a warm spell and it only took 3 days total and that was mabe a 18hr out there springer compresser is all you need spechal total cost was under 300 for everything said and done
Whats the going rate for a shop to do one now days

and the 18 hr included resurfacesing or replacing everything we touched and doing a general tune up too
Was being funny......saying it's technical.
I can tear down and rebuild a compact diesel motor......
But draggin that big ol head out of there....nah.
I can get the head pulled and studs installed, he doesn't just screw them, he does it right, (bottom tap etc) for $300.
This includes the complete install of the head and studs....the 1st run and 2 re-torques are included.
That doesn't include the parts true......buttttttt
My back doesn't handle being hunched over in the cold for 18hrs very well anymore LOL.

Oh and anything under 70 is cold LOL

Glad you can save yourself some cashola by working on your own stuff.
I work on other peoples stuff on in my area of expertise.

BTI