24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Advise on finding a good shop.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Advise on finding a good shop.

I need a VP44 and a LP installed. I'm getting the 0216, 1693 code. I talked to Chip he says its a VP44 problem, and I'll propabley get it from him. It seems to shutter about 65-80 on acceleration, but seem to run alright other than that, and my MPG is decreasing. I was seeking some advise on how I should go about finding a reputable shop(or person) for the job. I've talked to shops(people)and I get mixed feeling on whether i feel confident about them working on my truck. Any info would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you
Bill

Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I only take my truck to Ken McCabe in Bristol, which is just south of New Lexington, had the truck for two years now and have nothing but great things to say about Ken working on it. He's just a private guy that does everything out of his garage, but he has a really nice setup and really knows his stuff. One other thing, his prices may be a little higher than other guys, but he only uses the absolute best parts that he can find so you only have to fix it once. His number is 1-740-342-5007. Tell him Jake sent you, and he will treat you right. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Billy D (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

You are in a great spot for shops actually....

About 27 miles,give or take a few,from where you are located at down to Thornville,OH where Dave and Loretta Mitchell's "Enterprise Engine Performance" is at.Nice shop,great people and some of the best work I have ever had done to my truck.

Enterprise Engine Performance

Your other option is about 75 miles away from you and that is down in New Vienna,OH and they are called "Woodruff Diesel".Another great shop who does great work and comes highly reccomended by many of the locals out there.

Woodruff Diesel, Inc.

Hope that helps as either one would do what you need done with your truck......Andy

Billy D (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not sure what you have for tools but you dont need anything speical
the key way in the vp is the only common problem iv seen
Plus if you get a blue chip pump like your talking they will include the gear puller for the pump for FREE to use as long as you return it
Then spend the 1200.00 on injectors and gauges or BEER

Billy D (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by ja-mudder
Im not sure what you have for tools but you dont need anything speical
the key way in the vp is the only common problem iv seen
Plus if you get a blue chip pump like your talking they will include the gear puller for the pump for FREE to use as long as you return it
Then spend the 1200.00 on injectors and gauges or BEER
do it your self if u can there is alot of articles in here for the diy person

Billy D (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Man just did one do it yourself your looking at 5 hours at most doing the vp and the new LP and thats having never done it yourself save yourself some money. You willl, let me repeat YOU WILL GET ADDICTED TO THIS so save your money for more upgrades PLease

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I CANT EXPLAIN IT YOU JUST KEEP WANTING MORE AND MORE AND IF YOUR MARRIED GET USED TO SLEEPING ON THE COUCH BEC.90% of the ladies dont understand bec. its a Diesel THang

Last edited by NCFPD; 12-06-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Billy D (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks gentleman, I'm going to try to order my pumps soon, I'm gona do it! I got tools, I'm just a little intimidated because of the price of the pump. I'll do it!

Thanks again

Old 12-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NCFPD
Man just did one do it yourself your looking at 5 hours at most doing the vp and the new LP and thats having never done it yourself save yourself some money. You willl, let me repeat YOU WILL GET ADDICTED TO THIS so save your money for more upgrades PLease

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I CANT EXPLAIN IT YOU JUST KEEP WANTING MORE AND MORE AND IF YOUR MARRIED GET USED TO SLEEPING ON THE COUCH BEC.90% of the ladies dont understand bec. its a Diesel THang
X2 it does get very addictive
As for reputable shops around you cant help ya there but not to bad to do your self. If you do feel confident in tackling it your self just take alot of pics before you start of how lines bolts ect go and dig in its fun and as for me get a greater satisfaction out of DIY on things not just my truck but everything i do just like to figure it out and do it myself but thats just me. There are alot of great info in here and alot of great guys that have done it before and are always willing to help if you get in a bind on something

Billy D (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

yea its alot more rewarding doing it myself and it familerizes me with my vehical always me to possible fix it in a jam or on the side of the road were there aint a shope

But if you would like to see how hard it is or weather or not your sure you wanna do it look up vp44 istall on youtube one of the guys on here has the whole thing videoed and you can see what your getting into but really its not that bad i was scared my first time i did it bec. i didnt have the money to fix any thing if i broke somthing let us know how it goes

Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to hijack this thread but what about good shop in Missouri. Looking in particular for somebody that can port and fire ring my head
Thanks
Scamp

Quick Reply: Advise on finding a good shop.