24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

A Documented Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A Documented Rebuild?

Anybody interested in a documented rebuild, I have a 01 3500 that had a oil pump lock up so I will be going throught the entire engine. If there is enough intrest I will provide some pictures and posts of the progress. It will basiclly be a stock rebuilt and I hope the damage is not to bad in the bottom end. This is my first Diesel rebuild.

The following 2 users liked this post by mobetter:
AndyMan (03-11-2010), Jet A Fuel (10-31-2009)
Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Absolutly.....take lotsa pics and post em up daily with good verbage to explain it all man

Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

whitmore; ya need more than verbs to communicate... add afew nouns to get some broken english going on atleast that way we know what your hammering on

Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Of course, I plan on doing as much of my own engine as I can. So I wanna see, oh make sure you mention exactly what curse words made the bolts break free.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it'd be pretty awesome

Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Diesel Fan

OK than let the fun begin. first of all what are the limits for posting pictures? I might have to use a photo hosting service if I run out of attachment space. The Project: I purchased the truck off of craigslist for the messily amount of $1850, It's a 2001 3500 6-speed 1 ton with 236000 miles. its a dually of coarse and it had been jack knifed so the bed and portion of the cab is damaged. the seller provided the replacement parts to repair the cab. Here is my reasoning for doing this. I purchased a 04 GMC Dmax crewcab a couple of years ago and I really haven't been happy with it. for one its black hard to keep clean in my neck of the woods, second if you don't have air running through the grille the A/C doesn't cool very well, and third it's not a manual (I'm a stick man). Did I forgot to mention it goes into limp mode when you need it the most like on the interstate in 5:00 traffic.I intend on rebuilding the motor in the Dodge to get me by so I can sell the max. Now I know what your going to say, Why don't you just buy a Dodge ready to go because you'll end up investing the same amount of money and time with this project. And you are probably right, But at least I'll know what I have.
*On to the project. I did a little searching online and found a 2001 Dodge Ram service manual in pdf format. you might be able to find one for other years as well. It was from one of those file hosting sites. I have already removed the bed, and all the accessories from the motor. non of it to difficult, the hardest wrenching was the removing the fan from the hub those are left handed treads and I'd already removed the belt but I managed to get a large pipe wrench on the fan belt drive(The service manual calls for using a screwdriver to catch the 10mm bolt heads on the fan belt pulley). the motor is ready to pull. But I don't have my engine stand yet. Theres a guy in Pilot Point Texas that make these monster Cummins stands It's call the beast, anyhoo I'm wanting for him to get the latest run of these finished. so I'll be in limbo until I get that. I will also use the stand for another project that's on the back burner, a 71 Chevelle Cummins. Well on the the current project. The Dodge I bought did not run and the seller said its locked up. But after I got it home I installed some batteries the fired it up only problem no oil pressure. I found later that the oil pump had siezed because it ingested a little piece of metal, Locked the pump and broke the idler gear. There was the other half of the piece of metal right at the inlet of the pump that didn't get ingested. actually the pump may have sheared the little piece of metal in half and left the other half lying right at the inlet of the pump on the block side. I'll post some pics soon of the piece of metal in question and maybe someone may recognize it. That is all for now I Will keep you posted on updates.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm from Ponder, Tx close to Pilot Point/Aubrey

Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Some pics of Project

The first pic is the current state of progress. The next 5 are the pictures of the truck.
Following are pictures of the metal that locked the pump up, The pump(notice the crack in the outter section. Thats where the metal lodged, and the idler gear which broke off after the pump locked.
The engine is ready to pull, I should have my stand this weekend. One reminder Don't ever try to mount a Cummins 5.9 on a one of those 2 ton chinese stands IT WILL NOT HOLD!
Oh and by the way the half of the piece of metal in question is about 1/4"x1/8" and its aluminum. Why didn't the pickup screen catch it. And it also appears the someone has been in the bottom end as there was some ford blue rtv all around the oil pan gasket. hmm interesting?

Attached Thumbnails A Documented Rebuild?-cumminsfrnt.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-dodgefrnt.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-dodgefrntr.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-dodgeint.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-dodgerh2.jpg  

A Documented Rebuild?-dodgerh.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-metal.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-oilpump.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-opidler.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

the blue RTV was probably just a previous owner fixing an oil leak around the pan...i dont ive seen one second gen that doesnt leak around the pan gasket, there is probably one out there but i aint seen it yet

Keep up the good work of the rebuild and keep us posted

Old 10-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Update on teardown

OK boys and girls we have completed the tear down of the 01 Cummins. Got the engine stand in last night and pulled the motor today.
First of all It appears that someone had run this engine without oil, also they also tried to put a band aid on as the rod bearings had been replaced, Most of them look new to very little wear. Rod #5 spun. Main bearings 3,4,5 spun. There was quite a bit of metal shavings beteen main cap 5 and 6. One of the cam bearings and jorunal was in bad shape as well.
Pistons look decent showing signs of normal wear with a few scuff marks on 2 probably from all the metal circulating in the oil but will have to clean them up before I can tell. I will drop the block, crank, head, and pistons off to my local machine shop that does diesels for evaluation. I hoping the crank can be cleaned up, Their is one piston that has just the slightest hint of play in the wrist pin but I'll let Farris make the cal on that. Cam will need to be replaced. over all the process went rather well without any major snags. This vehicle hasn't been on the road since 2006 which means it had only seen 5 years of service.
I will get back with more details covering the rebuild after the machine shop assesses the damage. Oh almost forgot the cylinder bores look really good and still show signs of the cross hatch pattern and I don't think there's a ridge,just some carbon buildup.

Attached Thumbnails A Documented Rebuild?-camjournal.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-crankshaft.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-cylinder2.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-cylinders1.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-enginestand2.jpg  

A Documented Rebuild?-engingstand.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-mainbearing.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-maincaps.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-metalshavings.jpg   A Documented Rebuild?-pistonshead.jpg  

Quick Reply: A Documented Rebuild?