24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

where to go what to do

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99dodgeruffrider
Hi all, just installed the airdog 100 on my 99 dodge. Drove today testing seemed to run well. I eliminated the stock filter and heater assembly. Dodge upgraded mine to an intank lift pump, so I had to pull the tank an install a 1/2 in picup tube( wasn't fun) it comes with 1/2'' fuel line. The 100 will support up to 550hp. Makes for easy filter change too.
I do have a question about the starting, the alternator takes its time getting to 14volts, which affects fuel pressure. the engine bogs down at idle and then back up, kind of like the airconditioner going on and off. It stops doing it once the gauge is at normal. seem turning lights on blower fan on, it comes up faster. So what is the up and down engine rpm from? Is there a large load of some kind going on? Any info would be appreciated. newbe Frank
That is the result of your grid heater warming the intake air going to the cylinders. Upon start up, your grid heater heats the incoming air to aid in cold weather/cold intake temp start up to minimize "objectionable white smoke" and ease start up...i.e. glow plugs in GM/Ford applications. The reason you see the volt meter going so low is the grid heater pulls an enormous draw on the electrical system. That is normal. You fuel pressure will drop as well, like you said, for the same reason as your lights dim during this period. The fuel transfer pump is running off the same "loop" of electricity as the rest of your truck, so when the grid heater draws all that power, its grabbing some away from everything else...again, normal...just be conservative 'till it gets to its stable 14+. As you will notice, it dosent really take that long.
Hope that helps.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it says that process that jeffybuilt was talkin about will take 190 seconds to complete in the owners manual. its normal

Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Gauge and Lift Pump are a must on these trucks. Is your truck throwing any codes?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm a little confused does the after market lift pump take the place of the problem vp44 or does it work in conjunction with the stock pump. If the vp' was to go out would you have to replace it and put in an airdog or mechanical pump of some sort.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Your truck has a IP(Injector Pump) and a LP(Lift Pump) which is the Air Dog and other pumps. The LP feeds fuel to the VP. So if the LP dies and you don't have a guage to see that it is dead it will kill off the LP. Your truck will run just fine without the lift pump workin but in the process kill the Injector pump which when it goes will set ya back over a grand.

Clear as mud now.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

No the VP44 is the injection pump, it supplys the fuel to the injectors in the engine...the airdog is a lift pump or a supply pump for the VP44 Injection Pump, the vp44 is especially picky if the lift pump does not have enough pressure of at least 10 psi, cummins says 7 psi but id be scared to go lower then this

Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

damn it ya beat me by that much

Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts
Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok so here's a question for ya. When I'm excellerating shifting from 1st, 2nd, 3rd is fine, my boost stays pretty steady. When i shift from3rd to 4th the boost drops out to nothing then slowly builds back up and kicks in. Would this be an indication of one of the pumps going? Am I using all the fuel that's available, sucking the pump dry?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
For fuel delivery I would go in order of choice:

The Airdog, just the pump and not the air removal system.
The MITUSA. a mechanical belt drive pump.
The FASS version of just the pump and not the air removal system.

I'm not a big believer in the air removal unless your tryin to squeeze out every once of extra HP and it's a lot a extra money.

I would also recommend a set of RV275 injectors.

But most important is that Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge.
The airdog does air removal too just like the fass The AirDog® eliminates the air in the fuel that robs your engine of consistently greater performance and can also cause permanent damage to your injectors. The AirDog® also provides the fuel pressures and flows your diesel engine needs to produce maximum power, any time, every time!