24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

where to go what to do

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to go what to do

I dont have much experience on this forum or with diesels. I'm just getting into it so I hope that you guys can help me out. Here's were I stand.

I bought a 1999 dogde w/5.9 and a 5th wheel rv. I'm able to travel more then the average person so I thought some up grade would be approperiate. I decided to go with the Banks system becuse it is a system and my thoughts are that all things would work well together and that would add up to less problems in my first up graded diesel. So much for thinking. I got toghether with my brother and we put the power pack system in. It only took a couple of nights after work and the job was pretty painless. We live about 400 mile away from each other at the time. My milage was 16.4 on the way to his house. After the in stall I got 20.9 on the way home and at times I was doing 100+. I was also impressed by the rubber I was able to leave in front of his house.

The first problem I had was after a month my girlfriend stated it and it ran like ****. The best I can discribe it is like it was out of time. I called banks and they said I needed to send in the "chip" and wiring harness. I did and reinstalled it when I got it back. They sait it had a "glich " in the harness. What ever. When I un plugged the egt gauge it worked, but mileage was down in the 16 range againe. I spoke to banks agine, went thought some diagnostics and they sayed the map sencer was bad. We should have done this first time around. I found a local shop to replace the map. I told them what I ve just writen here and they said they could fix it. i work out of town so I told the owner that my girl would pick up the truck when it was finished. She picked it up and he told her it did not have a map and that he twekedth comp to give it exta house power (75 buck). Why do anything to the stock comp. when I have the banks?

So now the milage is down and don't have as much power as just after the install. Banks customer service vai inter net sucks. 3 e-mails and no response.

Anyone know if the banks can be checked out anywere besides the factory in cali. I live in Gardiner NY about 70 miles out side New York City.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help would be great

Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

First off find a new place to take your truck! He hosed you, they can't tweak the stock ecm/pcm for more power... Second your truck has a map sensor! There is a authorized Banks dealer in MN that you can call and he's very knowledgeable if he's not busy... I;ll get his number for you if you want?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Without an upgrade fuel supply system nothin you do to this truck is gonna help. Even stock the fuel supply in these trucks is just barely almost adequate. With any power upgrades it will fall flat on it's face and take out a very expensive Injector pump in the process. No matter what else you do to the truck it can't make more power without more fuel being delivered and the stock lift pump won't do it.

A fuel pressure guage you can see at all times is the first mod you should ever make to one of these VP44 equipped trucks. Period, bar none no matter what it's first off.

As rattler said, you were had by the shop. Banks makes all right stuff but way over priced for what it does compared to the other brand names out there. Your payin for the commercial name and not much more.

Welcome to the site. Hang in there, it's a tough road but we've all been there and once you get started down the right road these trucks will amaze you with what they will do with very little effort. And by all means change your personal options as to what kind of truck you have, it's a Cummins rather then Cummings.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

also try searching your area for a local diesel dealer. im sure there are a few close. at least closer than you would think. Any guy who works in a strictly diesel shop should be able to help you a lot. The guy definitely screwed you on that one. Hopefully you can find a diesel place close.
I have the same truck as you and I think i can speak for a lot of ppl and say there arent to many using 'banks' stuff. Not that it isnt any good, cuz i personally wouldnt know, but there is other stuff out there that is way cheaper and just as good. If your pulling a lot with your 5th wheel and have upgrades id def start searching these forums for information (like upgrading your transmission/torque converter). These guys/gals together know so much its silly. Believe me i spend hours on here just reading and learning. So hopefully someone who doesnt know much like me can help point you in the right direction.
The best place to start with your upgrades is like i said your transmission and your fuel delivery. just search FASS and VP44; and you'll find bundles of info!
Hope some of that helped. If not ask away....

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Diesel Fan

ya If you have his number that would be cool

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I know that guy gave me the shaft. I haven't gone back. I'm thinking of going with an airdog 150 and tran upgrade.

Last edited by jumpslut; 01-28-2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-28-2009, 01:50 AM
BOMBARDIER

For fuel delivery I would go in order of choice:

The Airdog, just the pump and not the air removal system.
The MITUSA. a mechanical belt drive pump.
The FASS version of just the pump and not the air removal system.

I'm not a big believer in the air removal unless your tryin to squeeze out every once of extra HP and it's a lot a extra money.

I would also recommend a set of RV275 injectors.

But most important is that Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
For fuel delivery I would go in order of choice:

The Airdog, just the pump and not the air removal system.
The MITUSA. a mechanical belt drive pump.
The FASS version of just the pump and not the air removal system.

I'm not a big believer in the air removal unless your tryin to squeeze out every once of extra HP and it's a lot a extra money.

I would also recommend a set of RV275 injectors.

But most important is that Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge.
i see that you recommend the airdog over the mitusa. Why is this? I've read posts from you awhile back and you seemed more the happy with the mitusa pump.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:00 AM
BOMBARDIER

The honest truth is I still think the MITUSA is the best lift pump solution ever put on the market for our trucks but after a while you just get tired of doin this . It's a new concept that most are findin hard to except. That's the only reason I listed the the Airdog first.

The following users liked this post:
jumpslut (01-31-2009)
Old 01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, just installed the airdog 100 on my 99 dodge. Drove today testing seemed to run well. I eliminated the stock filter and heater assembly. Dodge upgraded mine to an intank lift pump, so I had to pull the tank an install a 1/2 in picup tube( wasn't fun) it comes with 1/2'' fuel line. The 100 will support up to 550hp. Makes for easy filter change too.
I do have a question about the starting, the alternator takes its time getting to 14volts, which affects fuel pressure. the engine bogs down at idle and then back up, kind of like the airconditioner going on and off. It stops doing it once the gauge is at normal. seem turning lights on blower fan on, it comes up faster. So what is the up and down engine rpm from? Is there a large load of some kind going on? Any info would be appreciated. newbe Frank

Old 02-01-2009, 01:13 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpslut
ya If you have his number that would be cool
Office Number, Tech Info 763-228-7121 Todd / 612-889-1734 Chris