24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slipping

1998 1/2 with 240, 000 miles. Original VP44 failed this fall and I installed a "new" one from Blue Chip Diesel with the "s" chip. There have been some some problems with fuel leakage since the install - nothing related to the new VP44 - the leak seem to be toward the back of the engine on the left/port side. I keep thinking I've found and corrected but the there is sign fuel is still leaking. Operationally it seems to be hurting nothing - truck starts and run fine.

The reason I've told this is that I'm loosing about 10% of the fuel based, on fuel mileage, so something in the neighborhood of 6 - 10 gallons of fuel have leaked in the engine compartment over the last 1,500 miles. Today, the clutch started slipping in high gear- not under "normal" driving unloaded conditions, but under heavy throttle - other wise the clutch engagement from a standing start and shifting feel perfectly normal. I'm wondering if the clutch is likely worn out (has never been abused - always start out in 1st gear - a modest amount of city driving) or if it is suffering from fuel contamination. Can the clutch be inspected without pulling the transmission? What is likely to happen if there is no more fuel leakage and I continue to drive the truck - will slippage likely get worse, stay the same, or return to normal? Questions/comments? Thanks - Jim

Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

with the clutch thats how i noticed mine was fried it only sliped under acceleration never durring engagement, if your planning on going with a single disk i highly recomend the Valair clutch i love mine other than doing drops with it it has held up nice especially pulling 20k up grades not a single problem i got the 6 speed 13 inch ceramic conversion kit with the hd hub spring upgrade for like $900 back in the spring, its rated for 600hp-1200 ftlbs

Old 11-25-2008, 11:54 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

ok first off the fuel leak is most likely the injector return line banjo bolt leaking at the back of the head, get a new rubber washer and put on it and that should fix it unless you have already done that then i have no idea where it is coming from unless you did not tighten your injector lines down enough when doing the vp swap...

Now onto the clutch not sure if it could become contaminated but with that many miles its probably starting to go out so i would say get a new one, like a stated above Valair or southbend you cant go wrong with either IMHO

Old 11-26-2008, 12:01 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

The fuel leak will either be like said before the the fuel return banjo, or it may also be the number 6 injector or ther is a T fitting back there at the back of the motor where the return lines from the injectors and the VP come together. Somethin on it may have loosened up.

As far as the clutch, damn you got your moneys worth out a that anyway now go get a real one. I'm strictly SouthBend myself.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

that is true they are both good clutches im just saying with the clutch i have i like it, so thats all i can recomend, im thinking about going duel disks if i end up building my twins

Old 11-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a fuel leak,tightened everything,replaced washers,you name it.
Then I changed the fuel filter,put a mew fuel filter on it and a new O-ring,all better

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
As far as the clutch, damn you got your moneys worth out a that anyway now go get a real one. I'm strictly SouthBend myself.
Southbend....yeah going to have to disagree with you there.
The POS Southbend clutch I got made it about 20k,and the center came out of it.
I've been running diesel trucks for years,never had a clutch wear out,never broke one.
Until I bought that overpriced piece of crap.
Would have just figured "what the heck,got a bad one" But when I tried to get them to replace the thing there was a thunderous silence.(Insert sound of $800+ going down the crapper)

As a side note,they're hydraulic upgrade was nice,and they're pressure plate seemed to be a high quality piece.

Last edited by Mr.Krabs; 11-26-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost