24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Whack-a-Mole Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whack-a-Mole Oil Leaks

I've owned a 2000 Ram (2500 6MT 165K basically stock) for less than a year, and it has leaked from the day I got it. In order to fix it all, I have done:

Seal kit for steering box (blue top)
New Power Steering pump.
Seal kit for vacuum pump w/gasket
New oversized main seal w/sleeve
gasket for timing cover.

After all this work, it looked like the vacuum pump was leaking at its gasket. I removed and added gasket seal. That worked.

Immediately, the driver's side timing cover gasket started leaking. I added some gasket seal there, not wanting to do the entire timing cover again. That worked. next day:

Now, it looks like the brand new front main seal is leaking. I just drove cross country, and oiled down 7 midwestern states. It looks like the oil is hitting the balancer/pulley and getting flung to the passenger side. Everything from pan to knuckle is oiled down, including both right-side wheel wells and the front of my Airstream. ( I previously shielded the steering box in order to determine if any leak was coming from the engine or box. The box is dry.) Are the higher engine speeds and much more time on boost causing the issue?

My hunch was too much crankcase pressure, and a blocked timing cover breather. The breather seems clear, and the catch bottle barely has anything in it! ALSO, when I removed the old front main seal, its sealing surface was oddly distorted, and not perfectly round. Again, it made me think excess pressure.

Does anybody know what this might be? I love driving this truck, but am really frustrated.. Is there something I'm missing, or are all these leaks just random?

Thank you.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bystickel
I've owned a 2000 Ram (2500 6MT 165K basically stock) for less than a year, and it has leaked from the day I got it. In order to fix it all, I have done:

Seal kit for steering box (blue top)
New Power Steering pump.
Seal kit for vacuum pump w/gasket
New oversized main seal w/sleeve
gasket for timing cover.

After all this work, it looked like the vacuum pump was leaking at its gasket. I removed and added gasket seal. That worked.

Immediately, the driver's side timing cover gasket started leaking. I added some gasket seal there, not wanting to do the entire timing cover again. That worked. next day:

Now, it looks like the brand new front main seal is leaking. I just drove cross country, and oiled down 7 midwestern states. It looks like the oil is hitting the balancer/pulley and getting flung to the passenger side. Everything from pan to knuckle is oiled down, including both right-side wheel wells and the front of my Airstream. ( I previously shielded the steering box in order to determine if any leak was coming from the engine or box. The box is dry.) Are the higher engine speeds and much more time on boost causing the issue?

My hunch was too much crankcase pressure, and a blocked timing cover breather. The breather seems clear, and the catch bottle barely has anything in it! ALSO, when I removed the old front main seal, its sealing surface was oddly distorted, and not perfectly round. Again, it made me think excess pressure.

Does anybody know what this might be? I love driving this truck, but am really frustrated.. Is there something I'm missing, or are all these leaks just random?

Thank you.
When you say the sealing surface on the crank seal, are meaning the seal lips are distorted or is the surface of the balanced scored? You might need a Speedy sleeve to repair the leak if that is where the oil is coming out at. I have jacked a vehicle up and crawled under it with a good drop light while the engine is idling to find the source of a mysterious leak.