24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

EGT to high,

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGT to high,

need some Ideas on how to lower my EGT, Mods are in my Sig. i just recently put a AFE manifold in and put my EGT probe pre turbo instead of post turbo like i should have.
Now that i know my real EGT, I about **** my pants. my plans for bigger sticks and more fuel went out the windows until i figure this out.
On highway im sitting at 750 to 8, WOT assuming I am on flat, i hit 1000 easy. and if i hit lock up going up a hill, i could probably reach out and touch 1300 ( never tried )
Need some ideas,
Bigger intercooler?
Bigger Intake?
5" exausht ?
Thanks!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuze24v
need some Ideas on how to lower my EGT, Mods are in my Sig. i just recently put a AFE manifold in and put my EGT probe pre turbo instead of post turbo like i should have.
Now that i know my real EGT, I about **** my pants. my plans for bigger sticks and more fuel went out the windows until i figure this out.
On highway im sitting at 750 to 8, WOT assuming I am on flat, i hit 1000 easy. and if i hit lock up going up a hill, i could probably reach out and touch 1300 ( never tried )
Need some ideas,
Bigger intercooler?
Bigger Intake?
5" exausht ?
Thanks!
Bigger exhaust and down pipe will definitely help. Also simple things like intake horn even intercooler piping will make a difference. As far as intercooler goes yes it will definitely help the heat but they are expensive and won't add any horsepower, dyno runs at firepunk will prove that one.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Diesel Fan

well pretty much the only thing that I have left to do is the inter cooler, already have a sin Intake, i guess i could go to a 5" exhaust but that would be loud!! my dump out is before my pass tire and with this turbo i run, its ear piercing at WOT even with 4"
Inters cooler wont add any HP??

Old 01-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Your egt is fine. 1300 is getting into the danger zone if you stay there very long. One thing to do is when you notice egt getting above 1250 is to hit the overdrive button on the shifter. That will boost the rpm and get the turbo and engine moving more air to cool egt. High egt is caused by too much fuel and not enough air. What injectors are you running? One thing you can look into to cool egt is water methanol injection. Snow Performance makes a real nice kit.

The following users liked this post:
Chris Baker (04-24-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Additionally, your egt probe is in the correct spot. You want the egt probe pre turbo so you know the temp going into the turbo. With the probe post turbo the temps will have cooled some.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Diesel Fan

I thought 1200 is about the highest you wanted to go, and only for a short time.
Imy still running stock sticks, stock fueling all the way around. My plan was to do the air dog and sticks this winter but nm once I found out my egt, little worried now.
I do use overdrive a lot. On our rolling hills around here.
Would it be worth it to run a methanol injection with stock fueling?
My turbo isn't playing very nice right now

Old 01-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run an airdog 150. 100 horse injectors. Hotrod pump. With stock charger with wicked wheel cold air intake. ATS intake horn AFE piping and boots, 4in downpipe and full 5in exhaust. My EGT run around 600 to 800 at steady 2000 rpm on highway. I can definitely reach out an touch high Temps as well but I'd say you'll be safe doing the fuel mods you want and not see much change

Old 01-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Nice video! that's one of my favorite exercise songs!
was looking up your turbo info and bam there it was!
In my humble opinion I think you will see better temps once you do your lift pump and fueling mods.my reason is maybe the turbo is lagging some?
Also the glowshift gauges are not known for accuracy.
Nice Truck man!

Old 01-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you checked for boost leaks? That will cause high egt's.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
cummins 99 Build - YouTube
Nice video! that's one of my favorite exercise songs!
was looking up your turbo info and bam there it was!
In my humble opinion I think you will see better temps once you do your lift pump and fueling mods.my reason is maybe the turbo is lagging some?
Also the glowshift gauges are not known for accuracy.
Nice Truck man!
Thanks Man, Its a work in progress, One owner and it was my father. he wanted to get it rid of it, and i jumped on it like fly's on ****.

I am ordering a Air Dog 100GHP, and seeing where that gets me, i would like to have one that i could adjust.
The only time I lag, is when I hit lock up. I have about a 3-4 sec lag and then I light. in town, just running around. I have no lag at all. I light hard,
I only push 20 - 25 PSI MAX, i would like to be up in the 30-40 area. Just gonna take time and money i guess.
And I am now realizing that glowshift gauges suck ***!! i really want to get rid of mine and go with some diff ones.

If i would have done my homework on turbos, I wouldn't have bought this turbo. its a weird Size, The turbo its self is almost a direct image of AFE Blade runner, ( I was told by XDP or DPP cant remember which one cause i was after a 4" down pipe with the exhaust kit i wanted but almost none of them would match the turbo) The Engineer's from AFE left and decided to come up with there own turbo, and this is what they come up with. Awesome warranty though LMFAO

Last edited by fuze24v; 01-24-2016 at 07:08 PM.