24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

EGT to high,

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gh0stman
Have you checked for boost leaks? That will cause high egt's.
i just put a new AFE manifold on, so ill double check all my head Studs, and I check my boots about once a month after i had one pop off on me hauling

Old 01-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by fuze24v
Thanks Man, Its a work in progress, One owner and it was my father. he wanted to get it rid of it, and i jumped on it like fly's on ****.

I am ordering a Air Dog 100GHP, and seeing where that gets me, i would like to have one that i could adjust.
The only time I lag, is when I hit lock up. I have about a 3-4 sec lag and then I light. in town, just running around. I have no lag at all. I light hard,
I only push 20 - 25 PSI MAX, i would like to be up in the 30-40 area. Just gonna take time and money i guess.
And I am now realizing that glowshift gauges suck ***!! i really want to get rid of mine and go with some diff ones.

If i would have done my homework on turbos, I wouldn't have bought this turbo. its a weird Size, The turbo its self is almost a direct image of AFE Blade runner, ( I was told by XDP or DPP cant remember which one cause i was after a 4" down pipe with the exhaust kit i wanted but almost none of them would match the turbo) The Engineer's from AFE left and decided to come up with there own turbo, and this is what they come up with. Awesome warranty though LMFAO
Get the Airdog 2 (adjustable regulator) if you can and a big line kit with a draw straw. or a fuel sump kit.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks Man, Its a work in progress, One owner and it was my father. he wanted to get it rid of it, and i jumped on it like fly's on ****.

I am ordering a Air Dog 100GHP, and seeing where that gets me, i would like to have one that i could adjust.
The only time I lag, is when I hit lock up. I have about a 3-4 sec lag and then I light. in town, just running around. I have no lag at all. I light hard,
I only push 20 - 25 PSI MAX, i would like to be up in the 30-40 area. Just gonna take time and money i guess.
And I am now realizing that glowshift gauges suck ***!! i really want to get rid of mine and go with some diff ones.

If i would have done my homework on turbos, I wouldn't have bought this turbo. its a weird Size, The turbo its self is almost a direct image of AFE Blade runner, ( I was told by XDP or DPP cant remember which one cause i was after a 4" down pipe with the exhaust kit i wanted but almost none of them would match the turbo) The Engineer's from AFE left and decided to come up with there own turbo, and this is what they come up with. Awesome warranty though LMFAO
If you got a turbo with a smaller turbine it will light quicker and give more boost. If you dropped down to a 62/65/14 that would make a world of difference.

As for the boost leaks check the boots and the intake horn/grid heater gaskets. If they have never been changed now would probably be the time to do it. But looking at the size of your turbo I think that's where your EGT problem is. You don't have enough fuel to push it, and that's why your egt's are so high.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
Get the Airdog 2 (adjustable regulator) if you can and a big line kit with a draw straw. or a fuel sump kit.

dos the draw straw make that much of a difference?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 PM
Diesel Fan

If you got a turbo with a smaller turbine it will light quicker and give more boost. If you dropped down to a 62/65/14 that would make a world of difference.

As for the boost leaks check the boots and the intake horn/grid heater gaskets. If they have never been changed now would probably be the time to do it. But looking at the size of your turbo I think that's where your EGT problem is. You don't have enough fuel to push it, and that's why your egt's are so high.
Wouldn't i still lag at with a 62/65? the one i am running is a 59/80 but i am not entirely sure the Exducer is a 80, sure the hell doesn't look like it. the website specs say it. but IDK

I am going to push more fuel and see where that gets me but one step at a time i guess.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:00 AM
Diesel Wrench

You wont lag as bad as your 59/80. But it wont light as quick as a HX35.

What brand is your current. Sounds odd sized.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

dos the draw straw make that much of a difference?
It doesn't make any difference in performance gains (unless your making huge HP numbers). But bypassing the crappy stock fuel sender/FP/pickup assembly is money and time well spent. Also some of the guys are running sump kits and the tank doesn't need to be dropped then.
The draw straw is much larger than the stock 8mm or so lines and I believe that makes the pump able to draw more unrestricted fuel and cool that much better (just my theory/speculation).

Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Diesel Wrench

Just make sure with a draw straw you make the cut evenly other wise you will end up with 1/4 tank issues.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
It doesn't make any difference in performance gains (unless your making huge HP numbers). But bypassing the crappy stock fuel sender/FP/pickup assembly is money and time well spent. Also some of the guys are running sump kits and the tank doesn't need to be dropped then.
The draw straw is much larger than the stock 8mm or so lines and I believe that makes the pump able to draw more unrestricted fuel and cool that much better (just my theory/speculation).
well then the sump kits would be a plus cause i just image that dropping the tank is a night mare and a half. I will get the draw straw then, ill take your word for money and time well spent.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Diesel Fan

You wont lag as bad as your 59/80. But it wont light as quick as a HX35.

What brand is your current. Sounds odd sized.
Applied Performance Turbo, 99 drop in OEM