24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

ECM or injection pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM or injection pump failure?

So ive posted recdntly with this problem but no one has responded...
Issues:
1.) The voltage to the ECM is intermitted
2.) trucked runs terrible belching blue bad smelling exhaust during idle and rough idle
3.) no power under any accelaration

I have installed edge comp box and when i did this is where the problem began. I have recently added a external voltage due to the false accusation of the voltage reg. in the ecm was bad only to discover that my issue was the intake heater cycling on and off during first starting in the cold morning... Any input or advice would be great so i can get my truck back on the road. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like injection pump failure to me. You need to check and see what codes are present if any. You should record the codes an let us know what they are. I will go ahead and tell you if it has the code (p0216) that is known as the VP death code. You said you have installed the edge comp, have you upgraded the lift pump?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM

same thing!!!!! (kinda) it was running fine/perfect for the past year with my smarty and edge.. took out my edge tonight to switch with another kat for a TS MVP... well it started runnin like crap. so I hooked up my edge comp and now its still running like crap!!!! WTF is happening!!!! AND WHAT DO I DO?????

Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok and yes i have installed a raptor lift pump

In responce to the other post have you been able to find out anything?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by scottxmorris
So ive posted recdntly with this problem but no one has responded...
Issues:
1.) The voltage to the ECM is intermitted
2.) trucked runs terrible belching blue bad smelling exhaust during idle and rough idle
3.) no power under any accelaration

I have installed edge comp box and when i did this is where the problem began. I have recently added a external voltage due to the false accusation of the voltage reg. in the ecm was bad only to discover that my issue was the intake heater cycling on and off during first starting in the cold morning... Any input or advice would be great so i can get my truck back on the road. Thanks!

I would say do two things - 1. Visually check the plug at the MAP sensor. 2. Plug a scan tool in of some sort that will tell you the MAP sensor readings, and post what the in.Hg. readings are. It sounds like you may have the map sensor connected incorrectly, or not at all.

For the guy who removed the comp box, I would do the same - check the map sensor plug, and check the readings on it.

The reason I suggest to do so is because I experienced the same thing - I was fooling around under the hood while installing a gauge, and at some point I must have bumped the MAP sensor plug enough to unseat whatever connection it had. I started the truck and immidiately noticed something wasn't the same. I got in the truck and started to drive down the road, and all of a sudden I couldnt speed up. The truck would just kinda bog (almost like a dead pedal people experience when their VP is going out). Of course my first thought was "oh poop, my VP is a gonner". However I went back through, retraced where my hands and other body parts had been, and inspected everything to make sure I hadn't accidently unpugged anything. On the first inspection I couldn't find anything, so I plugged in my actron scanner, went to live date feed, and saw that the MAP sensor reading was a constant 70in.H. regardless ofthe load on the motor (should be around 28-30 at idle, and adjust with the throttle). So I went back into the engine bay, disconnected the MAP sensor, reconnected, and all was well afterwards.

Another thing to try is resetting the APPS sensor, which will also essentially cause the ECM to reboot fresh. Here are the steps:

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

Last edited by DODGEARMYGUY; 03-03-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok DODGEARMYGUY i will try that too but there is so many things to check with these things

Old 03-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Turns out the VP44 died at 274,289 miles...are the remans from thoroughbreddiesel.com good?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottxmorris
Turns out the VP44 died at 274,289 miles...are the remans from thoroughbreddiesel.com good?
I personally have not had one from them, but I can imagine from a company like throughbred that they are probably pretty reputable. If it makes any diffrence I would buy theirs if mine went out again.

Last edited by Cumminsfreak24; 03-04-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Missed details
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok thanks and yes that does seem reasonable CumminsFreak24