24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

1999 Dodge Cummins Wake up Call

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Dodge Cummins Wake up Call

I have a bone stock 99 Dodge Cummins 2500 Supercab 4x4 w/210k and I would like some no bs advise on performance upgrades.
Exhaust manifold cracked so need replacement. 3pc?
Exhaust pipe stock w/no muffler & missing tail/axle pipe so its also getting replaced. 4"-5"?
VP44 pump/ Stock injectors, Lift pump,Turbo & Intercooler hoses are also on my replacement list so what's the good better & best?
I do a lot of towing long distance throughout the Northwest over mile high n better elevations so Im looking for pulling power not street racing.
Ive been told that a Tuner/ Chip offers adjustable performance and would like to know which one offers best bang for buck.
Truck currently runs good considering age and mileage but like me, it could use some improvements. Thanks

Last edited by oilfieldguy; 02-08-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Exhaust manifold cracked so need replacement. 3pc?

- If able, you can Weld the Crack to save your money. From what I understand, there isn't much performance increase with a new manifold. Someone with more experience will hopefully chime in on this.

Exhaust pipe stock w/no muffler & missing tail/axle pipe so its also getting replaced. 4"-5"?

***Unless you plan to go over 500hp, the only difference between 4 & 5" is sound. There is very minimal egt level differences between the two when running below 500 hp. 5" is almost double the cost of 4" as well.

VP44 pump/ Stock injectors, Lift pump,Turbo & Intercooler hoses are also on my replacement list so what's the good better & best?

***You plan to replace all these? Unless the vp44 is going out, I would use it until it quits if you aren't going to be running crazy hp. The biggest injector the stock turbo will take is 100hp injectors, and that's asking for issues. 50hp injectors on the stock turbo seem to be the most popular. My vote for a lift pump is a FASS 150. By far the best ratings, customer service, and build quality.

Ive been told that a Tuner/ Chip offers adjustable performance and would like to know which one offers best bang for buck.

*** Research edge products. They seem to be the most tried and true, and offer some perks over Smarty's. If you have an auto trans, you'll want to bullet proof that thing before you do anything with a tuner/programmer, turbo, injectors, etc...

Old 02-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I would start with a lift pump and gauges. If you are not looking for big HP Id leave the turbo intercooler and vp alone. I would do injectors, maybe RV275's. Then move to the trans. If auto an upgraded TC and VB will increase reliability. And as for a tuner I would recommend the Edge Juice with Attitude. Has a ton of built in gauges. And good luck.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 AM

I am looking for more hp & torque.
My 379 Pete is set at 550hp and it pulls the 5-10k ft passes almost effortlessly, so im for thinkin that my pickup should have an easier life if it didn't have to struggle getting up n down the same hills. I realize my pete has 18spd and designed to carry 80-110k lbs. but my pickup seems to be lacking when towing my 38ft gooseneck with my Case 580E backhoe on it.
I don't mind spending several thousand on upgrades and refresh because I like this Dodge and new pickups are way overpriced.
Edge Juice w/Attitude has great reviews so Im going to order one today, Trans/TC & Transfer Case already being built to 5-700hp specs because I would rather have "Too Much than Not Enough". Also I hear and read the Vp44 is designed and destined to fail so I want to replace or upgrade it before it leaves me roadside.
The stock manifold cracked 2" where it was ported for pyro so Im hoping to find one with port and thicker casting in that area.
Injectors are starting to leak so If they have to be pulled to reseal I would rather reinstall new ones. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe newer is better, but I do believe that patching and repairing is not as effective as replacing fatigued worn parts and components.
I think my current hp is about 215 and torque is about 420, I would like to increase to 400hp/500tq if possible.
Thanks ghostman, I really appreciate your advise and would like to know what you and others suggest regarding my goal.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like you have a good plan setup. Before you replace the VP why not get it tested first. Just to see where it is. That way if its not really needed you aren't burning cash. But I see where you are coming from. Replace all potential for failure parts. You might want to check out the super b turbo. I have heard good things about them. But if you are looking at pulling a backhoe you might want to look at compounds. It will give you better all a round power.