24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

1999 Cummins. No speedometer or odometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Cummins. No speedometer or odometer

Hey guys,
this is my first post and I must say that I have look at this website for a couple years and now I finally joined!

OK. So my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9l Cummins has an issue that I cannot seem to figure out and I have been looking for an answer for months.

My speedometer, odometer, compass/thermometer/mpg don't work. My ABS and break lights are not illuminated but they illuminate when I turn the key to "on" without starting the engine...

I have also replaced the VSS and the rear ABS sensor with no luck

Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? I would like to know how many miles I have put on each oil change and how fast I'm going

Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Is it throwing any codes? You should be able to get something using the key on-off trick.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Diesel Fan

thanks for your reply.

I have done the key trick and it came up with nothing and went through instrument cluster test and they all were fine. Now, I hooked up my OBD scanner and only after driving for long periods of time (around and hour) will the P0500 code come up but it won't come back for weeks at a time...

Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the key trick will not work on a 99 truck. As for your gauge problems I would go under your dash and there is a very big connection for your instrument panel to the left of your brake pedal. It will have a white cap with a bolt in the center, 10mm I believe. loosen that bolt, it wont come out because it has a keeper on it, but once it is loose enough you will be able to undo that big connector. Try blowing it out good then plug it back in. I have a 99 as well and I would lose all my gauges at once, sometimes while driving. They would also go in and out of working. Every time I could loosen this and sometimes just plug it back in without blowing it out and it would be working again. I don't know how but that big connection can collect a lot of dirt and dust somehow. I even found a blade of old grass in mine. I do not have the mpg or temp in the overhead but I would think it connects into this as well. Oh and I would get a no bus where the odometer normally reads. Hope this help!

Oh, and when I was getting my no bus and no gauge issue my odometer didn't count any miles I had driven when it wasn't showing :/

Last edited by CJJD4640; 02-04-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 PM

Does the tach still work? Is it chagong properly? How does the transmission shift? Poss bad pcm? I've heard stories of the pcm going bad and people lose all the gages except for the tach but all the dummy lights still work etc.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bigdaddy0608
Does the tach still work? Is it chagong properly? How does the transmission shift? Poss bad pcm? I've heard stories of the pcm going bad and people lose all the gages except for the tach but all the dummy lights still work etc.
Yes, the tachometer and all other gauges are functioning properly besides the speedometer and the odometer. As for the transmission shifting...takes a little long but I think that might have to do with the BANKS Ottomind that I just found out was on it today

I have checked the wiring to the rear differential ABS sensor and changed it along the the VSS on the transfercase/tranny. I'm not even getting the lights! I'm stumped!

Thanks for yall's input so far!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Diesel Fan

As for the key trick on it. It actually does work. idk if it was the beginning of when they started that or not? It went through the gauge tests and whatnot.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Diesel Fan

How about something simple
Have you checked any fuses?
If your ABS fuse is blown both your speedo and odometer will go out (ask me how I know hehehe ).

Old 02-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by uncle mike
How about something simple
Have you checked any fuses?
If your ABS fuse is blown both your speedo and odometer will go out (ask me how I know hehehe ).

Is the fuse in the cab or under the hood? i've check the fuses but i could have completely overlooked some.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Diesel Fan

It's under a small panel @ the left end of your dash (at least that's where mine is ).
There should be one marked for ABS.

Quick Reply: 1999 Cummins. No speedometer or odometer