24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

What Does Valve Lash Sound Like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

How much 2 stroke u guys adding per gallon of fuel?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lukesdiesel
How much 2 stroke u guys adding per gallon of fuel?
you mean you measure it. i thougt you just tipped the bottle and counted to ten. then stopped!

i add about .5 to 1 oz a gallon. depends on how much she`s smokes on the streets. hiway. i just dump some awful amount in!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Be sure to keep an aye on your fuel fittings after you start usin the 2 cycle. That stuff is the best penetrating oil I ever found. When I started runnin it all my fittings needed tightened after a few years of runnin them, within a few months of using it.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

OK Whit,

If I add in 2 stroke, what type should it be, ashless or just any old type and should it matter on the name brand etc.?

I've been using ULSD for about 18 months now (maybe longer) and it has been about 12 months that this weird idle and funny sounds have been around intermitintly.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Use any conventional TCW-3 2 stroke (this is the ashless stuff) - dont use the synthetic stuff either. Cambodian Tire or Walmart will have it. They will have Shell or Castrol respectively.

The following users liked this post:
Wyatt Earp (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

ok. I'll give that a shot.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

so it does it when the tank i low and then it goes away when you fill it up? could be that your pickup tube has a small crack in it close to the bottom and you gettin slight airation in the fuel and its causing that. it but i dont know with a fass cuz those are suposed to have air seporators.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1oz. per gallon of TW3 2 strole oil. is what i hear and have always done. With my airdog fuel pump and 20lb. fuel pressure 2nd gen dodge diesel

Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you install a draw tube?

Since the noise increases at low fuel levels, I am betting the pump is cavitating. No amount of air removing technology will stop the air hammering sounds.

If you are using the stock module, it is one of the most restrictive years made. Low fuel level creates a higher vacuum load and causes cavitation much easier.

If you are running a draw tube, double check the connections including the hose to draw tube fittings as this is the most common point of sucking air. It is possible as the level of the fuel decreases, the pump must work harder to fill the inlet. And if you're sucking air, it will aerate and that'll sound like cavitation as it enters the pump.

I just had a buddy with a pump that started making noise. He was convinced it was a bad pump. Turned out to be a bad connection at the dorman (tank) fitting. It's a place to start. Then check every fitting and connection on the suction side.

I respect others opinions with additives and oils. I choose not to run them for my own reasons. But keep in mind you say you have had ULSD for about 18 months. Most likely its been far longer than that as most of us have had it for at least a year prior to it's official release.

Stick with the easy stuff first.

Dave

Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lostnwalmart
so it does it when the tank i low and then it goes away when you fill it up? could be that your pickup tube has a small crack in it close to the bottom and you gettin slight airation in the fuel and its causing that.
OOOH Good call! I didn't think of that one.

As for the 2cycle oil... yeah... give it a shot. I buy the little pint bottles at wallyworld. I just dump one in per fillup. I've got a long bed, so I've got the big tank. Just that one little pint makes the motor MUCH smoother than without it. My fuel station still doesn't carry ULSD ( ), so if you're filling with that, you may require more.

Quick Reply: What Does Valve Lash Sound Like?