24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, looks like I'm gonna be doing my drivers side joints here soon, the top one finally popped good today. $70 for a ball joint is absurd...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
O.C.D.
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm up to 2600.00 and it only went in to have the turbo installed! Ball joints, wheel bearings, shocks and the turbo installed. Holy no work for my truck for a while now.

Fingers and Toes Crossed!!!!!!!

Guess this means no new shoes.

Last edited by littleleadfoot; 04-22-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah, front end work on these big trucks gets expensive QUICK. I'm in the same boat... I feel for ya.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by littleleadfoot
I'm up to 2600.00 and it only went in to have the turbo installed! Ball joints, wheel bearings, shocks and the turbo installed. Holy no work for my truck for a while now.

This is the exact reason most of us spend so much time on this site learnin how to do this stuff ourselves. Grand total for what you listed right there would have come up to around the $1100 parts if you did it yourself and that's goin top of the line on the parts.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by littleleadfoot

Alright, youre scaring me here. Might sell the truck and get a new one so I dont have to tackle this job.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
O.C.D.

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Alright, youre scaring me here. Might sell the truck and get a new one so I dont have to tackle this job.
Ya cause that sounds cheaper. I don't have the time to do it myself or it prolly would happen that way. We have a 24/7 business and I work f-time as well so I don't get the luxury of doing it myself, have to pay someone else.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

My bottom ones are shot (no zirks). The tops are good and they have zirks.
I will replace all 4 as well as the u-joints in the axles when it is apart. I got a quote with lifetime parts in Butte MT for 750.00.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
O.C.D.

Truck is back and is a totally different animal. The turbo sure changed the sound of my truck though got quite the whistle now too. Sooo happy to have my truck back, gonna go dyno tonight and see what the results are.
Ball Joints-turbo.jpgBall Joints-shocks.jpgBall Joints-all-clean.jpg

Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

I just got done doing my front end. Started out I needed offset upper ball joints and while it's apart do the lowers.. so I called a few places and got quotes. Take it to the shop night before get a call about 10am needs inner and outter tierods and the driverside wheel bearing are gonners. I think my truck had sat in some water because they said it was all rusted to where they had to heat it and beat it. Had similar problem with pass side when the wheelbearing went to be changed. I couldn't get the parts for what they charged me for them. labor was minimal. I was 1800 into it with tires I bought being mounted and balanced as well as some minor things. I didn't have the time so they got the job... 3 weeks later as I wasn't driving my truck much the driver side outter tie rod fell out... turns out they put the inner on the outer and vice versa... so they fixed it and my alignments are free for a while.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
O.C.D.

Originally Posted by 01quadcab
I just got done doing my front end. Started out I needed offset upper ball joints and while it's apart do the lowers.. so I called a few places and got quotes. Take it to the shop night before get a call about 10am needs inner and outter tierods and the driverside wheel bearing are gonners. I think my truck had sat in some water because they said it was all rusted to where they had to heat it and beat it. Had similar problem with pass side when the wheelbearing went to be changed. I couldn't get the parts for what they charged me for them. labor was minimal. I was 1800 into it with tires I bought being mounted and balanced as well as some minor things. I didn't have the time so they got the job... 3 weeks later as I wasn't driving my truck much the driver side outter tie rod fell out... turns out they put the inner on the outer and vice versa... so they fixed it and my alignments are free for a while.
OMG, I would be out for blood.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints