24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Adding Extra Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Extra Running Lights

Not sure if there has been a thread made just for this, I apologize if there has and I overlooked it. But im looking to add some 3/4" LED Snake eye lights to my front end replacement. I have done wiring before and everything but the only thing I had a question about was the best way to run it to power. Ive asked buddies but both the ones I asked do not drive a second gen 24 valve. I was told wiring into the switch that turns on running lights and heads, do yall agree? If anyones done lighting like so direct me to a thread or add pics. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Go to the head light switch. You can wire up the lights so all the hot wires are together and just have one going to the switch. Then do the same with the ground wire and just ground them to the frame. On the trucks I work on the LED lights we use the black wire is the hot and white is the ground. Just make sure you have those right and you'll be fine.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by tbirdz24v
Go to the head light switch. You can wire up the lights so all the hot wires are together and just have one going to the switch. Then do the same with the ground wire and just ground them to the frame. On the trucks I work on the LED lights we use the black wire is the hot and white is the ground. Just make sure you have those right and you'll be fine.
Ive got em figured out wiring them together but just running em to the switch was the only part I had questions on. Do you have any pics of a how to for this? I haven't put em in yet I just want to make sure I do em right. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I added similar lights to my bumper. I have marker/signal style, so they glow, then flash with the the signal bulbs. I teed into each signal lights wires to make this happen. LED's pull so little power, that a couple extra lights hasn't effected signal operation.

Depending on how many you put on, it could be an option for you as well. You could also piggy back the wire in this picture on the fused side. Then they should come on with the rest of your park/marker lights.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by RAW
I added similar lights to my bumper. I have marker/signal style, so they glow, then flash with the the signal bulbs. I teed into each signal lights wires to make this happen. LED's pull so little power, that a couple extra lights hasn't effected signal operation.

Depending on how many you put on, it could be an option for you as well. You could also piggy back the wire in this picture on the fused side. Then they should come on with the rest of your park/marker lights.

Mine I wanna wire them in as just running lights on the front end replacement. I also wanna add some on the rear bumper as well and I was going to tie those into the trailer wiring.