1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

BIG PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You know, after owning a first gen for a few years, I think the only people that should own one, are those that are very mechanically inclined. Or have deep pockets.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
...the only people that should own one, are those that are very mechanically inclined. Or have deep pockets.
..or those who become easily frustrated by simple electrical problems caused by grounding out the fuse box after kicking it into the brake pedal.

Probably a few others.

But that goes for just about any 15-20 yr-old vehicle, dont'cha think?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Idk how many times my fuse panel has fallen out and been kicked around... Old plastic, nothing to do with design flaws. Never had it arc against anything, most everything is pretty well insulated unless you hit it at just the right spot. Don't take offense to this; but due to your lack of electrical comprehension I'm hesitant to believe you properly checked the fusible links with a volt meter. So to caveman it, pull on the wire some. If its burnt it'll stretch, flame resistant insulation doesn't tell you jack for visual inspection unless it was a pretty fierce melt down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdbigblue12v
ok first off this isnt the first wiring problem i had and yes it was my fault because i bought one of these are shitty garbage made trucks id rather junk it than give someone else the problems of it. i checked everysingle fuseable link with a voltmeter and none are bad
I don't think we can blame the "shitty garbage made truck" when the "bottom left butt connector" arced. I would blame that on the person that used a butt connector(S) to make an electrical repair(S).

Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

towerofpower i bought the truck as an electrical nightmare and has been rewired and rigged beyond beleif with after market lights and stereo and on the under side of dash is all cracked and thats why it falls down. i have never had this happen before and has only fallen 3 times in 1 year and i am very mechanically inclined just not up to par with electrical yet in school. it is the ignition switch and having a struggle with trying to track one down. i apologize to you nadurpoint for being nasty just was pissed off with this problem

Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

towerofpower i bought the truck as an electrical nightmare and has been rewired and rigged beyond beleif with after market lights and stereo and on the under side of dash is all cracked and thats why it falls down. i have never had this happen before and has only fallen 3 times in 1 year and i am very mechanically inclined just not up to par with electrical yet in school. it is the ignition switch and having a struggle with trying to track one down. i apologize to you nadurpoint for being nasty just was pissed off with this problem
most dealers stock one.....

Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Diesel Wrench

called 3 dealers that are local and the closest one had it in stock just didnt know the part number. the iother local dealer told me to give them that number and it turned up. just got one more question, can i just splice a wire together to do away with 1 fuseable link??

Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

can i just splice a wire together to do away with 1 fuseable link??

If you thought your original issue was a big problem wait for what happens if you just do away with the fuse-able link.

You can put any kind of fused link back in just don't replace it with a peace of wire.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Diesel Wrench

ok so ill just pick up another fuseable link or can i run an inline fuse like this one

http://easy-clan.com/ski/pics/relay666/inlinefuse.jpg

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is the amps for each fuseable link I use circuit breakers myself but I think the flat fuses will work also.

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM