1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

from ata to wta intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default from ata to wta intercooler question

guys i,am building a m715 kaiser jeep army truck with a 6bt engine out of a 1992 dodge pickup, it is air to air cooled and I dont have room plus I dont want to cut-modify etc. the front end of my truck as its a real cherry. so i picked up a water to air factory cummins cooler and fuel lines with hopes this would cool the intake charge. my engine is going to be completely stock ve pumped engine. i need a serial number and cpl number for a wta engine so I can order some parts from cummins to complete this setup. any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
thanks
bob

Old 12-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

What other parts do you need? You have the big, expensive, hard parts to get.

These guys are supposed to be the wizards when it comes to genuine Cummins parts.
DIESEL PARTS PRICE PERFOMANCE

At stock power levels you really don't need any charge air cooling. It'd be a waste of a good intercooling system to not turn it up some...

Old 12-24-2011, 02:11 AM
Diesel Fan

THE WAY I look at it is the engine cpl called for air to air intake cooling and since I cant use it and seeings I,am going to leave it all stock except for adding water to air intake cooling I was in hopes it would balance out cooling wise. yes I have the wta cooler and the coupling that goes over to turbo that bolts to cooler alsoo 6 fuel lines for the wta cooled engine thats all i have and there is a few other parts for this system I need to make the engine as it came from cummins that way ! cummins famous words are " do you have a engine serial number and cpl " and I dont have either. I,ve delt with cummins for almost 40 yrs and still I cant get past there requirements for parts......
bob

Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Diesel Bomber

Call Mumau at the link I posted, they're a distributor willing to do a bit of research and they know how to dig obscure parts out of Cummins warehouses.

In most stock, low-horsepower applications, intercoolers have more to do with emissions than longevity. Dodge engines, for instance, went from non-intercooled to intercooled engines in 91 and kept the same power rating, and in the real world actually lost power. They put out a lot less NOx though... Your engine doesn't need intercooling at 160 HP. Above 200 HP and you start needing it.

It's not a bad thing to have at any rate, just sorta a waste without a little bit of a fuel bump...

Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Diesel Fan

the cooler you keep your intake air charge the more hp & torque you build. any engine with ove the basic hp rating is aftercooled in some way same in semi trucks.. there all now ata cooled. in the old days for instance a 290 hp cummins was non aftercooled but when they went to 335 hp and up all was wta cooled until the late 80"s when they went to ata cooled. its all about hp & torque

Old 12-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Diesel Bomber

So you understand what I'm saying. Intercooling will add horsepower on an engine that is air-limited, but a 6BT at 160 horsepower is fuel limited and so an intercooler is a waste.