1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

brake wth....!@^&%$$*

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brake wth....!@^&%$$*

i am having a recurring problem with my brakes. the hardware keeps bending. i just put on the 3rd set including what was on it. new caliper and rotor on one side (the side i have had the most problem with) it had just been the drivers side top hardware but today the passenger side rear did it also. today i filed down the area on the caliper the edge rides on to a more square edge to try to help. anyone else have this?

Attached Thumbnails brake wth....!@^&%$$*-resized-caliper-2.jpg   brake wth....!@^&%$$*-resized-caliper.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Look at your rub marks on the caliper.... Your rim is too tight to the caliper and looks like it's grabbing your hardware. I'm going to guess they're steel rims? Where the wheels
Center section is welded to the rim is probably grabbing your hardware. If those are stock rims have you checked your wheel bearings? Loose or bad wheel bearings can let the hub flex enough to come in contact with the caliper (which is held separately from the hub by the steering knuckle.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Diesel Fan

i thought the rubbing comes from after the hardware bends and the caliper escapes. these are factotry rims and one is a factory caliper. 160000+ miles. why would they start rubbin now? i thought the same on the wheel bearings. theyare tight though. it checked and i have at least a half inch clearance between the caliper and wheel....i will check it again.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Diesel Bomber

That may be, ever found your caliper chillin out of it's respectable spot? Usually if something pushes itself out it doesn't usually make it's way back to it's original position. It may be your caliper bracket, any chance you put the wrong caliper on it? Left side on the right? I would assume its impossible but the wrong mating surfaces could cause it to walk out of place. It might just be age, my calipers fit tight but my Brake pads are able to move around freely. The grooves in the caliper bracket have been hammered out over the years.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Diesel Bomber

Another odd thing, it's the lower hardware that's getting
Bent. Is it always the lower hardware? 90% of your driving is in a forward motion, innorder for the lower hardware to be bent like that it'd almost havento forced directly out or caught while in reverse. While braking all the force is put on the upper portion of the caliper/bracket as the rotor tries to pull the caliper in the direction of the rotation. Its just not adding up .

Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Diesel Bomber

Next set of hardware; try installing
It upside down. What "seems" right may be wrong. It's been a long time since I've done a set of brakes this style but when you tighten down the retaining bolt the metal should have some "spring" to it. If it's upside down the hardware will set 1/8-1/4 of an inch off of the caliper letting
It walk around.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Diesel Fan

each time the caliper is out of its home. i think you are right on the bracket. i did try one set of hardware upside down once....no change. its usually just the top hardware on the drivers side. but yesterday it was top drivers and bottom passengers. its odd. today though i drove it over 400 miles and no problem. orielleys hardware instead of autozone. the factory bent edge is turned the oppisite way. before it would happen in the first few miles. the brakes do rattle bad on my road which is extremely rough. maybe new brackets will cure that. thanks.