1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

new here, new truck, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering

I just checked, in mine the high pressure line is the one closest to the engine block, I think that is a 9/16". You probably will need one of the open wrenches for hoses, the other end goes somewhere under the battery and I think that is a 11/16. Not sure. *I have a plow set up and is a lot going on in that space. *When ordering parts you should refer as W 350, year and so on for accuracy. *The other hose is is the low pressure and has clips only, should be replaced too since you have the reservoir empty.

Check if there is a filter somewhere in there too, just in case. Good luck

Thanks,
Gonzalo

Ps. I just got drum cylinders from a chevy 95 dually, bolts and fittings should work fine, the cylinder is 1/8" larger in diameter and 1/4 longer, I will check tomorrow to see if the drum fits.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on your power steering pump i would just go ahead and replace the seals on the pump also even if they are not leaking they are pretty easy to do and everyone i know with the 91 has had to replace theirs so if its never been done do it now its cheap and saves the hastle of power steering leaking meaning hard turns and sometimes it will give out while in the middle of a turn and then your over the wheel trying to finish the turn and it sucks!!!! easier to preplace now

Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The ratio adapter sits between the VSS and the transfer case and is a separate piece. There should be some numbers on it saying what the ratio is, like 1.333 or 1.250. This number will vary from truck to truck.
As for the radio, check to see if it has power to it at the connector. There should be 2 power wires, should be M1 and X12 on the gray connector. I can't remember if there is a fuse on the radio, but there is one on the fuse block under the steering wheel.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

You have a non-intercooled power steering/vacuum pump assembly.
Replacing the seals on that version is NOT a walk in the park, it requires being pressed apart and back together just to do pump seals.
The only parts you can get for the vacuum pump assembly are the 2 pods.
If the center adapter piece or shaft assembly is bad, sourcing a replacement is nearly impossible, unless you acquire a whole other unit.

Mark.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm my 91 that is intercooled was simple im not very mechanicly inclined and me and my dad did them in a few hours. whats the difference between intercooled and non when it comes to the power steering pump?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking truck! I just got my truck recently and like you am in the overall learning process. As someone else mentioned, I would fix the ebrake and PS hose and take your time on the others. How many miles on the truck? Assuming it was not done previously I would tab the KDP before moving to other items.I am doing this next week myself. When my fuel gauge was reading empty, my fuel light never came on but when I fill up it has 7 or 8 gallons left?? Seems like even the working gauges have a lot of variability in them. A lot of guys with 1st gens forget about their not working speedometer/odometer and drive by GPS for speed and mileage . Good short term work around idea at any rate. Good luck and don't get frustrated.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, put in a ton of work today with help from a buddy who has a bunch of mechanic knowledge.

We got the power steering hose replaced, and replaced the master cylinder+brake booster, then bled the brakes. The rear break lines were totally full of air and some old black fluid. The truck working pretty well now, very drivable. Mileage is about 160K based on what the previous owner said. It reads 152K, but the speedo doesn't work, so I can't be sure.

The emergency break still has problems. We tried putting a little fix on the end of the cable, but it busted right off when we tried the e-brake. Oh well. Just using chocks for now.

Ok, dumb question time: how do i tighten up the first injector thats leaking a bit of diesel? Its just the top nut, right?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Just finished mine ok, almost. I stil have to adjust the the shoes in the drums, have you done that? Is crucial to get the best out of the system.
RE emergency brake, if you have to replace the emergency brake (30 or so ) get ready for a full brake job, cause you need to take everything a part.

Good luck

Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New problem. Drove it around and it made a clanking noise that seemed to about track the tire speed.

It took me a while, but I found the problem. On the drive shaft that connects the transfer case to the front differential, the U-joint looks all screwed up, like it lost the sleeve bearings that go in there.

Here are pics of the u-joint in question, right before the front differential (after transfer case):
Name:  RC8FL.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  223.6 KB

closer, where is the sleeve?!?:
Name:  EznXT.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  221.1 KB

Any ideas on what the replacement part is? That U-joint connects the NP205 transfer case to the dana 60f, 4.10 front differential.

Thanks for any help!
(grease gun on order now!)

Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

1410 Spicer U-Joint:

Spicer 1410 Series Maintenance Free solid body non greaseable universal joints

Gonna need a new one, I'm afraid.

Quick Reply: new here, new truck, need help