1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What to do about my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do about my clutch?

Well, I haven't really posted here much lately, so I figured I'd shoot this out there:

In June(ish) I swapped my 518 for a G360. Love the stick...hated the vibration I picked up at the time of the swap.

A few weeks later I ripped it all apart again and brought the clutch and flywheel back to the shop to be balanced and checked out. Everything checked out and I put them back in.

Same vibration...terrible.

So this last weekend I decided I'd had enough and in the 20 degree weather in my driveway, I ripped it apart for the 3rd time. I borrowed a dial indicator and checked runout on the flywheel. I put the pressure plate and clutch back in and same vibration.

So, I put the original Sachs back in (clutch disc and PP) and YES! No vibration.

I went for a test run and immediately noticed the clutch engaging at the other end of the pedal. Then, when the boost gauge hit 15 PSI in 3rd, she started slipping.

So, I know the new clutch (currently not installed) was the cause of the vibration, and I know the old clutch is just plain bad.

So now I sit thinking about what I'm going to do on the 4th (and hopefully final) pull of the tranny.

Part of me wants to just try putting the new disc in with the original Sachs PP. Part of me questions if that's a good idea...

Part of me wants to just buy a whole new setup, but my wallet questions that. The only one I can even come close to affording is the Valair 87 OE Organic replacement.

Anyway, I'd like to spend as little money as possible to get the best results possible (already spent $380 on the bad clutch).

I've contacted the vendor I bought that from, and I'm hoping they'll come thru, but also kind of doubting it.

Any thoughts? Right now I'm just driving around with low boost and hoping I don't glaze over the good components.