1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Veg Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

It gets thrown around a lot that veggie oil at 175-180 degrees has the same viscosity as Diesel. I really wonder if that number just came about by somebody trying to sell kits, though, because it's awfully convenient that engine coolant also runs at 175-180 degrees. I would like to see some proof of that; somebody's got to drop a marble through a graduated cylinder full of Diesel and heated SVO and what hits the bottom first. BUT, properly engineered systems that get SVO to even 180 are a fraction of the SVO kits out there.

I have 20 feet of 1/2 inch stainless tubing in my veggie tank, and I have fittings to put the 10 feet of fuel line from the tank to the engine compartment inside of a larger heater line. Then I have a couple DIY waterjackets to install around two auxiliary filters, and a cylinder-style heatsink to mount immediately before the injection pump. I am planning on running a separate lift pump for the veggie, along with the two 2-way electric selector valves required to switch over. I also have a thermocouple in the tank, and I had plans on putting another one directly before the injection pump inlet. That way I can monitor the temperature of the oil. And then to read the thermocouples I got a couple thermocouple readers, that also read the thermocouple in my transmission and whatever else I need to monitor.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Begle1
It gets thrown around a lot that veggie oil at 175-180 degrees has the same viscosity as Diesel. I really wonder if that number just came about by somebody trying to sell kits, though, because it's awfully convenient that engine coolant also runs at 175-180 degrees. I would like to see some proof of that; somebody's got to drop a marble through a graduated cylinder full of Diesel and heated SVO and what hits the bottom first. BUT, properly engineered systems that get SVO to even 180 are a fraction of the SVO kits out there.

I have 20 feet of 1/2 inch stainless tubing in my veggie tank, and I have fittings to put the 10 feet of fuel line from the tank to the engine compartment inside of a larger heater line. Then I have a couple DIY waterjackets to install around two auxiliary filters, and a cylinder-style heatsink to mount immediately before the injection pump. I am planning on running a separate lift pump for the veggie, along with the two 2-way electric selector valves required to switch over. I also have a thermocouple in the tank, and I had plans on putting another one directly before the injection pump inlet. That way I can monitor the temperature of the oil. And then to read the thermocouples I got a couple thermocouple readers, that also read the thermocouple in my transmission and whatever else I need to monitor.
what type of tank are you using?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

I converted the stock tank and installed a Ramcharger tank to use for #2.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Begle1
I converted the stock tank and installed a Ramcharger tank to use for #2.
I think I am going to modified air tank for my veg tank. Cut it open to install coolant/heater lines then welder it back up. still not sure about the electric heater to help heat the veg oil quickly.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

http://www.dynomitediesel.com/user_p..._carnage.shtml

3rd picture down on the left and right hand side.......just thought id throw it out there......

Old 12-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
http://www.dynomitediesel.com/user_p..._carnage.shtml

3rd picture down on the left and right hand side.......just thought id throw it out there......
interesting..

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

You have to be very careful making the bio..such as neutralizing the acidic veg oil and water washing the fuel to get the left over non reacted methonal out of the fuel and glycerin still in the tank after the majority of the glycerin has been drained out.

Last edited by DieselfreakMI; 12-14-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I used to run bio in a 94 12v P Pump and i run it in a 92 12v VE. I currently have a VP44 also and wouldnt even dream of using bio in it. too many horror stories. the p pump will cram anything through a set of injectors. the only good thing with the VE pumps or at least on my truck is the fuel line from the lift pump to the inj pump run through a port in the head which turns it to the viscosity of water. i've changed the fuel filters when bio diesel is hot and the only difference is the bio smells funky and is even more slippery than petro diesel. I run a single tank, 75% petro and 25% clean cooking oil. once it's consistanly past 80 degrees there is no problem wih running a single tank. I've never had an issue.