1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

driving along and truck shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default driving along and truck shuts down

last night i was driving with my trailer and my truck died while in motion i still had lights but no power to the dash except the buzzer no wait to start or radio, so i started looking for a fuse box wich i never found so if you could help me with that also it would be great. So i called my buddy for a tow and he asked if i had lights on my trailer and i checked them and one was out (they work fine on my other truck ) so i jiggled the harness and the light came back on, then i continued looking for the fuse box (never found) and then i got cold and got back in the truck turnd the key and it started right up do you think the trailer lights could have caused that or is it something else please help also it wasnt hot egts were ok assuming my shitty gauge works boost was ok to and it wasnt hot

Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The fuse box in right under the steering column. It clips onto the dash so it is tucked up under the very front of the dash. Kinda a shitty design if ya ask me.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by pewder
The fuse box in right under the steering column. It clips onto the dash so it is tucked up under the very front of the dash. Kinda a shitty design if ya ask me.
with all the wires pluged to it and it just hangs there like a turd on a rope i didnt even see fuses on that thing

Old 04-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ha ha. That would be it. And you wont see fuses until you pull it down. The fuses are conveniently pointed towards the dash making really hard to identify when getting down there for the first time. The one in my dads truck we can't even got to stay up there any more because of redoing so much wiring and it catching on fire and shooting flames right between my dads legs. ha ha ha

Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

look on the back side of the fule pump dodges shitty wiring causes my hot wire on the shutdown solenoid to come off or get loose and kill the truck and have exactly the same effect as your describing here look at that if it is at all loose replace the space connector

Brice

Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by big bad diesel 416
look on the back side of the fule pump dodges shitty wiring causes my hot wire on the shutdown solenoid to come off or get loose and kill the truck and have exactly the same effect as your describing here look at that if it is at all loose replace the space connector

Brice
the ijector pump or the actual fuell pump in the tank

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

thats the one thing that i hate about any cummins is that its designed by ****** dodge now fix it again tony too bad ford cant get the cummins

Last edited by 1993firstgennewbie; 04-02-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1993firstgennewbie
the ijector pump or the actual fuell pump in the tank

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

thats the one thing that i hate about any cummins is that its designed by ****** dodge now fix it again tony too bad ford cant get the cummins
the injector pump

The following users liked this post:
1993firstgennewbie (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by big bad diesel 416
the injector pump

heres what i found brice if this is the problem could you explain why it started again wo it being conected thnx again

Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Site Sponsor

thats the KSB not the shut down its on the back side of the pump

Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993firstgennewbie
...heres what i found brice if this is the problem
You should probably plug that one back in, too. A good fix for those is to solder ring terminals on the ends of the wires and replace the spade lugs with the ring terminals so they can't come off so easily. An even better solution is to lose the shutdown solenoid altogether by gutting it and installing a pull cable.