1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

bigtime problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default bigtime problem

so here is a two part post that is concluding to the worst day of work ever:

ok so i got done installing my clutch last night (havent put the transfer case back in yet) and i went out there today and i can shift it through all 5 gears and reverse without even pushing the clutch in. what could cause this? i thought maybe it was because i hadnt run the engine yet, so i fired it up and that is where problem number two occured. and it still didnt fix the problem. when i put it in gears the output shaft turns but i can still shift it freely through gears even with the truck running. what could cause this

part two:
so while my truck was running i figured out the clutch wasnt fixed so i went to shut it off. turn off the key, engine keeps running. it is just running right along at idle. i pull off ALL power on the injection pump, still keeps running. unplug the kill switch solenoid, still keeps running, unplug the air dog II relay (no fuel) AND IT STILL KEEPS RUNNING the only way possible to kill it is to pull the mechanical kill lever on the pump. its like a runaway but at idle. and if i try and give it throttle it just studders. what in the world could cause this!!!!!! i remember along time ago RSWORDS saying something about when turbos go back they feed oil in and it can cause this. is this possible what happened?

any help is appreciated, as im getting very tired of this project

Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Pull the intercooler tube off the turbo and see if oil is getting past.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your shutoff solenoid is just cooked.I doubt runaway, if it was running good before.The manual kill wouldnt have worked if it was a runaway.Time to get a new one.On the trans check your clutch release travel it may need adjusted.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

go to bed and start over tomorrow so you dont ruin all that work you've done by burning it to the ground in a fit of rage

Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by stillcummin
your shutoff solenoid is just cooked.I doubt runaway, if it was running good before.The manual kill wouldnt have worked if it was a runaway.Time to get a new one.On the trans check your clutch release travel it may need adjusted.
if its cooked and i unplug the power to it regardless wouldnt it not have power. when i unplug it and its still running my test light doesnt show any power at all to the injection pump. shouldnt it not run if there is no power to the injection pump? especially since i unplugged the fuel pump it shouldnt be getting any fuel either.

Originally Posted by ArizonaRedneck
go to bed and start over tomorrow so you dont ruin all that work you've done by burning it to the ground in a fit of rage
thats funny ive contemplated that

Originally Posted by wildbill
Pull the intercooler tube off the turbo and see if oil is getting past.
no oil its clean on both side of the intercooler tubes

Old 12-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
...since i unplugged the fuel pump it shouldnt be getting any fuel either.
Starving the engine of fuel is not a smart way to try and kill it. If it's running from a turbo leak it won't matter (oil runaway), it's hard on the pump, and if you do manage to succeed at that you will not restart it without bleeding the injectors first. That's what the shutdown lever on the side of the pump is for. Block the air from entering the intake at the turbo with a ping pong paddle if it's running away.

Most likely the tip is gone from your shutdown solenoid. Classic symptom.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Starving the engine of fuel is not a smart way to try and kill it. If it's running from a turbo leak it won't matter (oil runaway), it's hard on the pump, and if you do manage to succeed at that you will not restart it without bleeding the injectors first. That's what the shutdown lever on the side of the pump is for. Block the air from entering the intake at the turbo with a ping pong paddle if it's running away.

Most likely the tip is gone from your shutdown solenoid. Classic symptom.
but isnt the whole point of the shutdown solenoid to stop giving power to the injection pump when the key turns off, so therefor unplugging it should do the same thing. but it can even start without the solenoid plugged in at all. or are you guys referring to the shutoff solenoid on the pump itself?

and as for adjusting the clutch how to you do that on a hydraulic system? and would a bad slave cylinder cause it not to grab the clutch if it wont pul back to engage the clutch all the way?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Im saying the shutoff solenoid is stuck on the pump!Its failing to pull up to allow fuel past into the high pressure side of the pump.All it is is a magnetic solenoid to pull a plunger up.Which allows fuel to pass.Whether or not theres electricity doesnt matter, if its no good!easy fix/cheap is to take it out,remove the plunger,then rig up a cable to pull the shutoff lever on the side of the pump.No electricity, no problem.

the clutch release,releases the clutch.Youve messed something up.Did you replace the throwout bearing and fork?Did you get oil on the clutch?notice any smells?The clutch isnt grabbing the flywheel,find out why and report back

Last edited by stillcummin; 12-16-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Diesel Bomber

i would like it just to turn off with a key. where can i find that new solenoid at? i just got my pump back 3 weeks ago from being rebuilt is that soemthing they shouldve replaced?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

who rebuilt it?They must have got dirt or debris in the pump and it got caught in there.Id call them and complain.This is where metal partcles get stuck due to the magnet.Do you have a picture of your pump?Is it clean?was it cleaned by the shop before opening?

Quick Reply: bigtime problem